Home Forum Ask A Member 1955 Oliver Commander

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    kevinrude
    Participant

Happy New Year One and All!

I recently picked up a 1955 Oliver Commander and am in the process of giving it the old once-over. The flywheel nut appears to be made of brass and is weirdly shaped leaving me to believe that a specialized tool is required to remove it. Since it is brass, I don’t want to heat it up to remove it. I also don’t want to use pliers or vice grips for the same reason. I also do not possess the special tool.

So, how should I go about getting the flywheel nut off? I was thinking maybe a small strap wrench on the nut with a large strap wrench on the flywheel, but thought someone here might have a better idea.

Thanks!

• This topic was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by kevinrude. Reason: adding photos
      dave-bernard
      Participant

US Member

Got a pic????

frankr
        Participant

US Member

That sure looks like a Merc nut. Possibly different size though???

kevinrude
          Participant

Wouldn’t be surprising if it is a Merc nut — ChrisCraft was the first to make the Commander and they only sold their outboard business to Oliver because they were threatened with a lawsuit from Mercury for several patent infringements, or so the story goes…………………..

labrador-guy
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I Kevin, good to hear from you! Do you have any big sockets? My KF7 mercury flywheel nut came right off with a 1 1/4 socket. Maybe mine is weird or something but you could try one on yours.

dale

kerry
              Participant

US Member

If you have some scrap rubber material, wrap the nut good and use a pipe wrench. I use a piece of serpentine belt, a leftover piece from my homemade strap wrench.

If you have too many, AND not enough, you're a collector.

kevinrude
                Participant

labrador-guy and kerry: good suggestions both! I’ll letcha know what works. Thanks!

dave-bernard
                  Participant

US Member

Good for taking it off. but make one to torque it on.
                    flat steel and 4 bolts for pins then weld a nut on top for wrench and torque.

kevinrude
                    Participant

Good for taking it off. but make one to torque it on.
                      flat steel and 4 bolts for pins then weld a nut on top for wrench and torque.

Ah, very good point! I was so wrapped up in figuring out how to get the darn thing off that I forgot that I would need to eventually get it back on again!

garry-in-michigan
                      Participant

Lifetime Member

A metric 12 point socket ? ? ?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.