Home Forum Ask A Member 1956 Evinrude 15hp Throttle Q and Fouling

Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    bobw
    Participant

US Member

I’ve used the CDI coils on a couple motors with no problems, but I don’t remember what readings I got out of them.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
      1954 Johnson CD-11
      1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
      1958 Johnson QD-19
      1958 Johnson FD-12
      1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
      "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

andreaskc
      Participant

I think it’s just a matter of how fast I could turn the flywheel by hand. The German coil sparks turning by hand. I put the recoil rope on and the CDI does spark it just requires more speed. I went ahead ran new wires, adjusted points and gonna put it back together

andreaskc
        Participant

Just wanted to wrap up this thread, I took boat out yesterday and ran very well… mostly putting around at low speed to fish/troll for a few hours. Fouling/noSpark issue on bottom cylinder gone. Think it’s slow speed is better than I’ve had it before. Tick tick tick about 1mph.

Mission accomplished. New cdi coil, new plug wires, new plugs, and points timed off marks with multimeter.

crosbyman
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

thanks for your great feedback

did you ever get to clean out the crankcase drain which was a suspect problem causing the fouling or do you think it was just poor ignition ?

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

andreaskc
            Participant

I think it was just sketchy ignition, visual signs seemed to point that direction. Good to know about the crankcase drain thou, I’ll touch it if I get a reason to do something with the carb. Still learning how to work these models, ran a 1958 Johnson 18hp that gpa worked on when I was a kid but wasn’t allowed to wrench on it. I’m using this one for practice 😉 Plan on rehabbing the 58 this winter.

andreaskc
              Participant

Probably overkill, but here’s my flywheel puller plate

fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Probably overkill, but here’s my flywheel puller plate

Well, it might look like overkill, but those big flywheels/tapers are a mighty tight fit…..The OMC puller/hardware should really be used for these larger flywheels. Please make sure the flywheel is properly torqued also…Don’t just use an impact gun….After all this, you sure don’t want the key to shear, mess up the crank/flywheel tapers, and lose ignition….

Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.