Home Forum Ask A Member 1956 Johnson 30 hp won’t accelerate boat up on plane!

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    phil
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

You should use a puller that anchors using bolts, not jaws, which can warp or break the flywheel.

http://www.omc-boats.org
      http://www.aerocraft-boats.org

outbdnut2
      Participant

US Member

What pitch prop are you using? Pitch too high or too low can take down your speed.
        Dave

Jeffrey Durst
        Participant

I’m not sure what pitch I’ve got. How do I determine the pitch?

wedgie
          Participant

see if you can find the numbers embossed into one of the blades .

Mumbles
            Participant

It should be on the rear of the prop, under the prop nut.

RD-Prop

wedgie
              Participant

Hey Mumbles. . I was referring the the diameter and pitch that is often stamped on one of the blades, but the part number works better!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by wedgie.
                Mumbles
                Participant

Hey Mumbles. . I was referring the the diameter and pitch that is often stamped on one of the blades, but the part number works better!

That’s right Wedgie! The prop in the photo is from a ’56 RD and has the P/N on it which can then be checked for the size and pitch, which I don’t think is stamped on the hub or any of the blades. Props off other motors sometimes have both the P/N and size cast into them in this location.

This prop is currently mounted back on the motor so I don’t know what this particular P/N is offhand.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by Mumbles.
                  Jeffrey Durst
                  Participant

I took the prop off and there are no markings on front or back. I also pulled the flywheel today planning to replace the points, condensers and coils if they looked bad. The coils looked fairly new and had no cracks so I decided to leave them for the time being. The points on the other hand were both looking pretty bad. I figured this was probably the source of the trouble with the bottom cylinder not firing. I opened the new points and discovered that the grommet hole in the points was too small to go over the post that holds the moveable part of the points in place. I was really surprised since I was using “genuine” Evinrude/Johnson parts that were marked as fitting my ’56 30 hp. I decided to drill out the plastic grommet so that it would fit over the post but I’m not too happy about with the idea of running these compromised points. Has anyone else experienced this problem with points? Any suggestions on how to proceed?

wedgie
                    Participant

The points can be burnt as a result of bad condensers. I would replace them too.

Never had new points not fit over the post. Having said that ,I haven’t installed many new sets cause I am cheap. Usually I dig through my bin of salvaged points and clean them up. Drilling out the grommet sounds like a bad idea.

I have heard many complaints about sierra parts, and a few about the Turkish made oem parts.having missing insulator .

billw
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The new OEM points are horrible. You can tell how far in the toilet the world has gone, when you can’t even buy a set of points that work. I have been cleaning and salvaging my old ones and that method seems to work great. It takes some time and patience to get some of the more burned ones cleaned up; but it seems to be worth it.

Long live American manufacturing!

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 53 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.