Home Forum Ask A Member 1956 Johnson 30 hp won’t accelerate boat up on plane!

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Jeffrey Durst
    Participant

As soon as it stops raining here I’ll go out and give that a try and let you know what I find. I also ordered a new set of Champion J6C plugs which should be here sometime next week. That would be really great if it turns out all it needs is a new set of plugs! In the meantime can anyone tell me exactly where I should set the little set screw that goes on the small rod that goes from the throttle arm to the carburetor? I’m sure there must be an illustration of it somewhere in the manual but I haven’t been able to find it yet. I have attached a photo of it to give a better idea of what I’m talking about. The pink pencil is pointing to the little set screw I’m talking about. Thanks!!!

Jeffrey Durst
      Participant

1122201106-2-1

billy-j
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Mabey the rubber hub in your propellor is slipping.

bobw
          Participant

US Member

Jeffrey – Here is tthe Johnson service data for adjustment of the fuel saver rod linkage. Worked perfectly on my 56 30hp.

Screen-Shot-2020-11-27-at-12.40.17-PM

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
            1954 Johnson CD-11
            1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
            1958 Johnson QD-19
            1958 Johnson FD-12
            1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
            "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

To check the economizer linkage adjustment, rotate the prop and put the engine in forward gear. Have an assistant hold the throttle arm or twist grip in the WOT position. Now, try pushing the economizer rod forward toward the carburetor. It should not move more than 1/8″ or so, otherwise it needs adjusting….

Jeffrey Durst
              Participant

It finally stopped raining and I got the opportunity to check to see if the problem was a bad spark plug. Sure enough that was the case! I swear I have never seen a motor run so smoothly on one cylinder. None of the auto parts stores or boating supply stores near me had the correct spark plugs so I’m stuck in a holding pattern waiting for the ones I ordered online to arrive. Thanks to all of you for your support! I don’t think I would have ever guessed that the spark plug could be delivering spark outside the chamber but not when installed. Thanks again for everyone’s assistance!

Jeffrey Durst
                Participant

I put the boat back in the water last week and while it is running a lot better and did get up on plane it maxed out at 20 mph. I’m thinking that it should do closer to 30 mph so I’m planning to replace coils, points, condensers and plug wires to eliminate the possibility that the spark plugs were the only ignition problem. Any suggestions on the best place to find the correct replacement parts for this motor? I see several options online but none correspond to the exact same part numbers listed in the parts catalogue for this motor.

bobw
                  Participant

US Member

I buy most of my parts at marineengine.com. You can buy BRP original coils or CDI brand coils there. You can also find the CDI coils cheaper thru Ebay or buy some even cheaper Chinese made coils on Ebay. You can get the 7mm plug wires at your local auto parts store, just be sure to ask for solid wire core type.

Bob

1954 Johnson CD-11
                    1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                    1958 Johnson QD-19
                    1958 Johnson FD-12
                    1959 Johnson QD-20

Jeffrey Durst
                    Participant

Thanks Bob! Another question: Will I need to get an OMC flywheel puller or will a standard universal auto parts puller work?

bobw
                      Participant

US Member

The OMC puller is the best there is out there, but lots of folks just use an auto parts puller. I always use a harmonic balancer puller I’ve had for years and haven’t had a problem pulling a flywheel yet, including the one on the badly neglected and rusted ’56 Johnson 30hp I restored last year. If you go that route, just be sure you use some Grade 8 bolts and washers with the puller or some high quality shoulder bolts.

Bob

1954 Johnson CD-11
                        1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                        1958 Johnson QD-19
                        1958 Johnson FD-12
                        1959 Johnson QD-20

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 53 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.