Home Forum Ask A Member 1957 Big Twin 35 Engine Cowling Separation? Latch Bale Pin Removal?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    boscovius
    Participant

I’m about to have my engine cowling degreased and bead blasted for repainting and I’ve been stripping off the parts in order to get it all apart, but I’m stuck at how to get the two halves apart. There is a central hinge pin that runs along the top of the cowling. I’ve removed the C-clip. But I don’t see how I’m supposed to extract the pin. Pin is part number 277612. There isn’t any kind of slot for a screwdriver or anything. I see there is a Hinge Pin Retaining Ring that goes in front of it. Part # 203470. Is it missing? Broken?

Also of note is the pins that hinge the cover latch bales onto the latches. Can’t figure out how to get those out either and I need to replace one, if not both of the latch bales.
      Pins are part number 203595.

Cowling-pin-resized-1

cowling-pin-2-resized

Latch-bale-pin-resized-1

• This topic was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by Mumbles.
      bobw
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

In your 2nd pic of the cowl hinge pin, I’ve just grabbed onto the pin with a pair of needle nose vice grips then tapped the vice grips with a hammer to knock the pin forward. On the the latch bale, I seem to recall a small c-clip holding the bale pin in place.

01-Cowl-Hinge-Pin-Removed-06.25

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
        1954 Johnson CD-11
        1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
        1958 Johnson QD-19
        1958 Johnson FD-12
        1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
        "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by bobw.
        • This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by bobw.
        boscovius
        Participant

Thanks for your help Bob.

This task required me to go shopping for a pair of needle nose vice grips that would fit into the area and grab the pin. Knocked it out just as you said.

The bale pin isn’t quite the same as the cover latch pin, which does have a c-clip. The cover latch bale, (part number 203593), has a pin (part number 203592), which it turns out is not retained by a c-clip, but rather is retained via friction by the force required to squeeze it through the gaps in the latch cover bale. I had ordered new latch cover bales and was not going to use them as I was afraid I might damage the latch covers in the process. When I saw how much the old ones had been distorted after comparing them to the new ones I decided to go for it. The bale pins came out with no issues by using a nail punch I had handy. Care must be taken when reinstalling the pins, as the tiny cover latch bale spring (part number 203591) must go in the way it was and there is some potential for damaging it. Definitely harder to put the pins back in but it’s doable.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by boscovius.
          • This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by boscovius.
          bobw
          Participant

OK, guess I confused the latch pin and the bale pin. Glad to hear you got everything sorted out. Post some pics when you get it all painted.

Bob

1954 Johnson CD-11
            1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
            1958 Johnson QD-19
            1958 Johnson FD-12
            1959 Johnson QD-20

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Have often wondered about this also… Most of my engines are salt water models, just assumed the pins wouldn’t come out and were seized in place… Sure hoping I”m wrong, I have one 10hp with a broken cowling pin…

boscovius
              Participant

Fleetwin.

Show us a picture of the part that concerns you and I’ll bet we can get it sorted.

boscovius
                Participant

Here she is!  Thanks for your help!

bobw
                  Participant

Turned out really nice!   What paint system did you use?

Bob

1954 Johnson CD-11
                    1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                    1958 Johnson QD-19
                    1958 Johnson FD-12
                    1959 Johnson QD-20

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by bobw.
                    boscovius
                    Participant

Thanks Bobw.

I purchased the paint and decals from Peter at North York Marine in Canada.  He sells all the decals and paints.  He set me up with the original colors in Acrylic Enamel in rattle cans.  Since I was only doing this one outboard, it seemed the most economical way to go.  Though I can’t say it was cheap.  Lol.

http://www.nymarine.ca/index.html

The new rubber bumpers and other hardware came from Marine Engine.

bobw
                      Participant

I saw the “E” emblem on the side of the cowl was a replica decal which I knew was available at NY Marine, so I figured you probably used his paint as well.   I also buy my paint, decals, grommets, etc. from Peter.

Bob

1954 Johnson CD-11
                        1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                        1958 Johnson QD-19
                        1958 Johnson FD-12
                        1959 Johnson QD-20

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.