Home Forum Ask A Member 1958 10 hp evenrude

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    fleetwin
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I “think” what Garry is referring to (and Garry please correct me if I am wrong), is the SS cable pulley steering cable attaching bracket that “plugged into” the steering arm/handle (#46) with the spring loaded pin. This item is not shown in the parts breakdown, but is the same for most all of the OMC engines of this era.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by fleetwin.
      Mumbles
      Participant

Boy, do I ever feel stoopid today! The ’58 Sportwin does share the same parts as the smaller ’58 Fleetwin and Fisherman motors so the ’57 Sportwin steering handle would not be a direct bolt on as I’m sure the bolt pattern for the ’57 steering handle is larger, same as the 18’s. This should help narrow your search down for the correct part.

Will the ’57 steering handle fit the ’58? No. Can it be made to fit? Possibly, but probably not worth the effort.

Pass the crow Jacques.

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I feel this way more and more every day!

bobw
          Participant

US Member

We’ve all had to eat crow at some point in our lives but that’s not so bad. It only gets bad if you have to eat crow, then top it off with a big slice of humble pie (which I’ve done on more than a few occasions).

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
            1954 Johnson CD-11
            1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
            1958 Johnson QD-19
            1958 Johnson FD-12
            1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
            "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

outbdnut2
            Participant

US Member

I don’t know about 1957, but I swapped that part #46 (53 in the other drawing) and its tiller from a 1960 5.5 onto a 1958 10 HP.
              Dave

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by outbdnut2.
            Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.