Home Forum Ask A Member 1958 35 HP Big Twin

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    terry wier
    Participant

Help!

IMG_0100

After five years I finished my boat but have yet to have a relaxed ride (9 tows and counting). The Big Twin has had all the parts replaced, starts, and runs like a top. But….
      Either the low or the high speed needle valve always turns out after a while, it kills, usually fouls the plugs, and won’t start. I have put three packing washers on each needle (several do overs on each) and tightened the gland nut so I can barely twist the needle. One of them will still come loose within 20 minutes. Any ideas??? Duct tape the knobs?

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, this is peculiar… Does the gland nut loosen up allowing to needle to move about? Or, does the needle just get loose in the packing washers? Once the needle gets loose, can it be retightened by tightening the packing/gland nut again? Something isn’t right here for sure. The only other thing I can think of is excessive vibration, but it seems like other parts would be falling off as well before there is enough vibration to move those needles.
        Does this issue occur on both high and low speed needles? For some reason is the packing nut bottoming out in the carb body before actually compressing the packing washers? You should be able to snug that packing nut down enough so you can’t even move the needles by hand…Are you using OEM packing washers along with the clear plastic washer that comes in the new carb kits?

terry wier
        Participant

Both high and low have come out multiple times. The gland nut comes out with the needle. I can tighten the gland night so the needle will not turn. I don’t think the packing is OEM. Once they come out I thread the needle and the gland nut both back in. Is the order of the low speed going into the carb: aluminum bushing (bevel side out) packing, nylon washer? Is the order for the high speed: packing, nylon washer ?

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by terry wier.
          need2fish
          Participant

I’d put in fresh fresh packing. I buy mine at Napa.

I’m pretty sure there is no nylon washer. I removed the high speed needle on my ’60 RD-22 (40hp) this morning and verified it has packing only. Check the diagram on Marineengine.com. It shows the packing and nothing else. However their part # is bogus therefore you may not be able to source it from them.

How ’bout some anti-seize compound on the packing nut threads ?

olcah
            Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Put in more packing washers. Maybe your packing gland is tightened metal to metal.

terry wier
              Participant

On my way to Napa. It seems anti-seize is a lubricant and would make the needles loosen easier?
                Thanks for the help.

Shear Pin
                Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Very nice.

need2fish
                  Participant

Duh — my mistake — running on one cylinder this morning. 🙁

I meant Loctite or similar.

fleetwin
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, so you are saying the packing nut comes loose on both needles allowing the needles to drift, correct? I would use the OEM components, install two packing washers, then position the clear plastic spacer (included with latest OEM kits) in between the fiber packing washers and the packing gland nuts.
                      Are the threads clean on the packing nuts and in the carb bodies? I guess I would pull out all the packing components/needles, then thread the packing gland nuts in and out the carb bodies to make sure the threads are OK….Make sure the packing nuts are not “bottoming” in the carb bodies before actually crushing/tightening the packing washers. Use three fiber packing washers if necessary….D

terry wier
                      Participant

fleetwin,

yes that is the plan. I just got more new packing washers. In the meantime the lower unit is leaking oil all over the place after expert A flipped the dog clutch. That solved the jumping out of gear But he did not put in new seals like I asked him to. Why?? Don’t know. I’m taking it to expert B and bagging it for the season.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by terry wier.
                      Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.