Home Forum Ask A Member 1958 Evinrude 35hp Big Twin power head and 1958 Evinrude 35 hp lower unit compat

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    rvdriver
    Participant

I recently replaced an ad for a 1958 Evinrude 35hp Big Twin complete lower unit to buy.

Will the JOHNSON 35hp lower unit fit with my Evinrude power head? There are a few Johnson’s available through AOMCI. I know the bolt and screw patterns need to match, but is there any other things to pay close attention to?

I read that they were in fact the same engines, but with different badges and paint colors.

I have attached 3 pictures of my Evinrude lower unit.

Thanks,

Steven

lower-unit

lower-unit-2

lower-unit-3

• This topic was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by Mumbles.
      rvdriver
      Participant

Now I see a number of different models on the Johnson 35:

RD -19C
        RDE – 19C
        RD-20
        RDS – 20

Which one or are all of them compatable with the BIg Twin?

Thanks,

Steven

jeff-register
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Bet they all swap changing shift shaft, drive shaft & water tube. Different lengths for short & longshaft mtrs

frankr
          Participant

US Member

There were two distinctly different models in 1958—both Evinrude and Johnson versions. The RD/RDE gearcases will fit your Evinrude. The RDS gearcase will NOT fit. RDS is the Johnson Super Sea Horse, equal to the Evinrude Lark both otherwise known as “Super Quiet” models. You have an Evinrude “Big Twin” (not Super Quiet).

EDIT: Better be careful on that RD-20. I’m not 100% sure on that one. It might be a Super Quiet also (???) Johnson model numbers got confusing in those years

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by frankr.
            rvdriver
            Participant

Thanks for the information.

Whats the difference between the RD and the RDE? So the E stands for?

Maybe someone know what the difference is between the RD 19 and the RD 20?

Steven

garry-in-michigan
              Participant

Lifetime Member

There were four styles of lower units on those classic alternate firing twins. This one was used from 1951 through 1954.

A redesign to make the motor less noisy included adding a bolt to the rear of the water pump.

In 1957 the pinion gear was reenforced to take the extra horse power of this 35 horse outboard. []color]

The introduction the “super quiet” outboards in 1958 included a thermostatic cooling system that included a larger water pump. This resulted in a wider gear case casting.

So the RD-19 is good – 35 HP, the RDS is super quiet and will not fit.

garry-in-michigan
                Participant

Lifetime Member

The E stands for Electric starting.

rvdriver
                  Participant

Thanks Gary, I thought might be the case. assume the lower units are the same…………

Hope all is well in the Sunshine state. I grew up on Lake Carroll in Tampa and we had a number of cool outboards I wish I still owned.

Thanks again…….Steven

garry-in-michigan
                    Participant

Lifetime Member

Why are my answers disappearing ? ? ?

rvdriver
                      Participant

Gary, I saw your post on my email in box but it was gone off the AOMCI Website.

Thanks for great info!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.