Home Forum Ask A Member 1958 Mercury mark 10

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    wedgie
    Participant

You could use John Deere corn-head grease or Lubriplate 105 .

mark weaver
      Participant

I did hear of the Lubriplate before for something….thank you. I don’t expect gear oil will stay in it.

mark weaver
        Participant

I tested those other condensers with a regular multimeter and they went to 19 ohm’s then dropped back…that is where they usually test. I also have a new meter for mF or microfarads and they tested from 2.8 to 3.5. So I have learned TODAY, that these tests are IFFY at best …..

crosbyman
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

small meters have small internal batteries and can not fully test the  insulation value a condenser.  a higher voltage is needed to  check for  internal leakage which will short out the  coil kickback voltage

at bare minimum   you can build a small  test circuit like this one.  it does not  have a voltage doubler to reach  250 v+  but should be better  than a  3-9volt  battery

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

mark weaver
            Participant

Ok, I am going to see if I can do this…I need to have something reliable. I have a small BOX of old condensers that are probably half good…I just change them with coils and wires AND it would save me spending the time I just did looking everywhere but at the problem. When you buy a new condenser you expect it to WORK but we know where it came from so….. Thank you for the info from N.B.

crosbyman
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

see link on cap tester  illustrated in above drawing

home made coil and condensor testers | Antique Outboard Motor Club,Inc (aomci.org)

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

mark weaver
                Participant

Thanks very much, I am going to set one up.

Tom
                  Participant

US Member

In response to someone “testing a box of old condensers”, I acquired part of a member’s collection to sell for his widow.  In the mix was a box of NOS and used condensers.  There must have been upwards of a couple hundred.  I tested all of them using a Heathkit C-2 condenser tester.  When tested at 300V, three of them were good.  One was a brand new part, the other two were original condensers from a Johnson A.

If you are serious about testing condensers, I suggest finding a Heathkit C-2 or C-3 condenser tester and recapping it.  They can tell capacitance as well as leakage at high voltage, and can also be used as an ohm meter.  They are a bit expensive; about $75 to $100 on Ebay, but you might find one locally at a flea market.  Recapping will run about $20 or so for parts.  But the cool factor with the magic eye tube is worth it if you’re going to get some use out of it.

This is what the C-3 looks like; the C-2 is the old style tan with red lettering.  The C-2 is usually a little cheaper than the C-3.  Circuit is pretty simple.

Heathkit C-3 Capacitor Checker

mark weaver
                    Participant

Now THAT would be handy Tom. There was a tester called a Mercomatic I THINK it was called that tested coils and condensers…a big old box deal like this you posted. They are more like $200 or $250…. IF you can find one. I met a gentleman that restored old seagull outboards in Yarmouth Nova Scotia that had one.He showed me how it worked…very simple. What a handy rig for someone like me that works on these old outboards. I am going to start looking for this one you posted….thank you. New condensors are about $15 each here so it would pay for itself quick.

jeff-register
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Delete post

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 37 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.