Home Forum Ask A Member 1958 Mercury mark 10

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    need2fish
    Participant

Will it run at high rpm ? If not, are the sparkplug leads switched around?

crosbyman
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

idle tube  & passage removed and cleaned out  ?

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

mark weaver
        Participant

Thank you for the reply….I did wonder about the reeds leaking but was unsure of the set up on these old Mercs. I have had bad ones in OMC’s. I tried it with the original condensers of course and it ran awful…tried two used ones I had kicking around…same thing. Went and got 2 new sierra’s….same thing. One or two on here said  they had bad luck with sierra condensers so back to the store 40 miles from here this morning for TWO more to try. Can only get Sierra’s so had to try again and it runs REALLY good…one pull idles down GREAT…so… brand new condensers no good. Thank you for taking the time to help.

mark weaver
          Participant

Yes and it was a bitch to get out and the tiny hole through it looked like it was not clean so thought for sure that was it…not so.

mark weaver
            Participant

No, they are right…one is marked top.

mark weaver
              Participant

Update….went back to the shop this morning and got two more condensers…THAT was the problem. They fired GREAT spinning it with a drill but put 2 more NEW ones in and instantly I knew.  THANK YOU everyone for the ideas. I will try to post the youtube links of the condenser replace for the THIRD time. I tried to put the short vids on here but it said files too big.

crosbyman
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

great news thanks for the feedback. …now you must build a  capacitor test box  as per M.Mohat  design … see Western Region  AOMCI web site for articles .

just download articles 1-4 at the bottom.    I built the basic model  and it works  very well.

Magazine Articles | Western Reserve Chapter (wrcoutboards.org)

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

mark weaver
                  Participant

Here is the YouTube links to the before the second new set of condensers and after.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/qCjGMIFaing

https://youtu.be/YrplgRxiSgQ

billw
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I use Sierras all the time in my automatics and haven’t had a problem yet. Good to know I should be looking for a problem in the future, though. Thanks for posting your solution.

Long live American manufacturing!

mark weaver
                      Participant

Does anyone know if 80-90 gear oil is ok in this old motor. It looked a lot more like gear grease in it when I changed the impeller. After getting a look at the transmission in this thing I would think a heavy oil would reach more than grease.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 37 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.