Home Forum Ask A Member 1959 fisherman 5.5 help

Viewing 10 posts - 51 through 60 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    cookjer24
    Participant

so i put it back together and got spark on the bottom cylinder like i always did…still nothing on the top it is dead now but if i hook up a ground wire to spark plug end it lights up my tester but plug still doesnt have spark.odd any thing else i should look at..think i’m going to return the coil for a new one say it is fualty since now the screw terminal where the plug wire goes in came out of the coil..just can’t win

frankr
      Participant

US Member

That gap in your picture means nothing at all. The mag plate centers on the crankcase neck, not on the mounting ring.

cookjer24
        Participant

ok good to know…so i should have a good ground then if the bottom cylinder has spark…i’m going to buy some new plugs try that…and going to see if local parts store has diff spark plug ends the ones that you bend wire around wire and clamp on insteae of the old spring looking ones that you just push into wire..i cant figure out why my tester lights up if you ground it out but plug will not spark unless it is bad for some reason….can i just glue the little screw terminal back into coil where the plug wire goes or is the new coil junk.

cookjer24
          Participant

so i put old coil back in..put the clamp on style plug end on new wire and same thing…i get good spark in certain throttle positions then i get weak spark where the spark tester will light up but the plug wont then i get no spark at all…been through everything now and nothing seems to help..hoping some one with the same problem comes along and see this post becouse i checked everything and nothing seems to help

phil
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

What kind of spark tester are you using??

I use one like this:
              https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7002015

And open it to a quarter inch (compensating for the fact that it’s harder to make a spark under compression) and I’m not satisfied unless I get a blue spark and a good “snap” sound.

After sanding the points, I always clean them by running clean paper dipped in acetone thru them.

http://www.omc-boats.org
              http://www.aerocraft-boats.org

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by phil.
              cookjer24
              Participant

i have a inline spark checker that lights up if there is spark…i sanded and cleaned points a few times now..there is plenty of meat left on them too almost look new very little wear…and i switched everything to the bottom cy;inder that works and i get spark except for the points…i dont think it is a ground issue becuose the bottom cylinder works fine.

cookjer24
                Participant

i might hook a drill to flywheel to spin it over at night see if i see any arcing going on.

olcah
                  Participant

US Member

Since you swapped coils, condensers, and points without much change I would suspect the spark plug wire to plug terminal connection. The stab-in terminal at the plug end may not have a good connection with the wire copper core. Some folks strip 3/16 or so of insulation from the core and fur the copper strands to increase the chance the end may contact the terminal. Also stab in again and confirm by feel that you are indeed through the copper core.

cookjer24
                    Participant

there is brand new wire just put on and just switched terminal end to the clamp on style…dont get it if bottom cylinder has spark then there is good ground…only thing i didnt change is the points i might order a set and see also have another new coil coming but dont think that is the problem.

cookjer24
                      Participant

can any one tell me if OMC 172522 the part number for tune up kit for 5.5 fisherman 1959

Viewing 10 posts - 51 through 60 (of 68 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.