Home Forum Ask A Member 1959 fisherman 5.5 help

Viewing 8 posts - 61 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    bobw
    Participant

US Member

172522 is correct

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
      1954 Johnson CD-11
      1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
      1958 Johnson QD-19
      1958 Johnson FD-12
      1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
      "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

cookjer24
      Participant

ok thanks..when i get new points put in top cylinder side i will post results maybe the set i put in is bad or faulty for some reason..hopfully it brings it back to how it use to be

cookjer24
        Participant

UPDATE…so i beat the gremlin lol i am now sitting here as i type this update drinking some cold summer shanty with great news i got it sparking and hopefully it is fixed for long time..so the problem was the points gap..for some odd reason it is set at 12 thousands instead of 20 and i got great spark..set it to 20 where it should be and nothing very wierd but it is working and i cant complain becouse i got my little sweet running vintage motor back to go kill the panfish on the lake…thanks every one for info and what to check….dont think anyone would have guessed to make the gap smaller to see if it sparks.case closed for now lol.

bobw
          Participant

US Member

Good to hear you finally tracked it down. Enjoy the motor, enjoy the fishing and enjoy the shanty!

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
            1954 Johnson CD-11
            1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
            1958 Johnson QD-19
            1958 Johnson FD-12
            1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
            "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

cookjer24
            Participant

si i been thinking this morning…wounder if the points are not as thick as factory and that why i have to set it half the gap that it should be

cookjer24
              Participant

and thanks i will enjoy it…i always do..this is the first problem i had with it since i bought the motor 4 years ago…other than this it been a great little motor

cookjer24
                Participant

well the rain stoped long enough to tank test the motor…still have a gremlin at half throttle from idle to half it is fine half to 3/4 it cuts out yet and 3/4 to full it is fine…i’m thinking it is the mag plate itself…there is a little bit of wobble play in it so can you put a new bushing in the mag plate or do you have to try and find one in better shape or is there a fix for this..at least i can still use it and get out on the water.

crosbyman
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

rub arms on points have different lengths… make certain you are using the proper point size for your engine

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 61 through 68 (of 68 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.