1960’s 18 Hp Evinrude

Home Forum Ask A Member 1960’s 18 Hp Evinrude

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 32 total)

• Evinrude 25

Replies: 135
    Topics: 29

Hello,
    Look at kijiji AD (Canada), it is similar Craglist in USA, a 18 hp Evinrude for $125.00 Cad. Since it is far away so I just wire the money to the seller and ask him to keep it for me. A nice gentlemen, he agrees to keep it inside for me to pick up any time. He just knows it is 1960’s outboard since the name tag missing from it. Could you be able to tell the year by these pictures?

E4

E6

E5

E1

E2

E3

• This topic was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by Evinrude 25.
    • This topic was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by Mumbles.

dave-bernard

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 2014
    Topics: 30

I’m a merc man BUT I would say early 60’s 61-62. most likely

cajuncook1

Replies: 842
    Topics: 72

Looks to be about 1960 or 1961 Evinrude 18hp Fastwin.

outbdnut2

Replies: 1705
    Topics: 91

There should be a welch plug, about the size of a quarter, on top of the engine block with the model and serial number. I agree with the other guys on the approximate year.
    The black paint was probably done for duck hunting.
    Price sounds good.
    Dave

billw

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 2071
    Topics: 66

I think that is a 10 hp prop that will cause the 18 to over-rev….

Long live American manufacturing!

frankr

Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

18 hp semi-weedless prop looks just like a 10 hp, until you examine it closer.

Evinrude 25

I will find out the propeller size when I pick it up next week. What is the best way to remove the black paint out and spray Evinrude light green color. Should I go with the OEM paint or automotive duplicate color? Should I look around for the new cowling or spend a lot of time to remove the black paint out of it a reprint it with Original color? Please give me your opinion or your past experiences of restoring these old motor.

Monte NZ

International Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 304
    Topics: 89

I am sure it is a 1961 model,. The “E:” on the side of the hood is the same as on a friend of mines 5.5hp Evinrude.
    Regarding the removal of the black paint, I would suggest water blasting, as the black paint doesn’t appear to be sticking to the original blue well. You could also try steam cleaning………but go carefully, especially with the aluminium trim on the hood!

Looking at the photos it looks like the motor hasn’t been used in salt water, so the original paint should still be in good shape.

billw

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 2071
    Topics: 66

18 hp semi-weedless prop looks just like a 10 hp, until you examine it closer.

Okay, thanks Frank. You have a better eye than me. When I was a kid, I built an 18 from a pile of parts and ran the 10 hp weedless, since I had no clue and it fit. First, the lower unit vibrated loose. Then the power head vibrated loose. THEN i figured it out…..The power head never let go, though. God watches over the ignorant….

Long live American manufacturing!

Evinrude 25

In Ontario, all outboards are in fresh water!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.