Home Forum Ask A Member 1960’s 18 Hp Evinrude

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    outbdnut2
    Participant

US Member

This propeller nut looks like home made from brass hex bar! should it serve the purpose to retain the propeller? The brand new cost $24 -$32 from E-bay.
      Do you see any potential problem if I keep it instead using OEM part?

I’ve seen that hex nut on another brand, I just can’t remember which one right now – I’m thinkin’ maybe Champions? It’s too cold here and 4 inches of fresh snow, or I’d go into the pole barn and see what brand has them.

It should work OK, but I’d drill a hole in it that lines up with the hole in the prop shaft so you can put a cotterpin through it to insure it doesn’t come loose and fall off. The ones I’ve seen on other motors have holes drilled across each pair of flats.
      Dave

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by outbdnut2.
      • This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by outbdnut2.
      JOHN HOLBIK
      Participant

The propeller is off of a omc 15hp 11 inch pitch my favorite props for 18 and 20hp

frankr
        Participant

US Member

Look again Dave, it has a cotter pin now.

No snow here, but Tropical Storm Eta just passed through. Woke up to a beautiful morning today.

outbdnut2
          Participant

US Member

I see the cotter pin now – it was hiding in a shadow.
            Dave

Evinrude 25
            Participant

Hello,
              Spend a weekend on this outboard and the power head looks good after a good cleaning.
              * Polish the points and readjust the point gaps, got a strong blue spark.
              * Clean up all the old grease under the magneto and put the new grease on.
              * Recondition the magneto plate so no more armature plate wobble.
              * Torque the flywheel nut to 40ft lb. (please let me know if it is correct. Just assume it will be the same as my 20 hp Johnson).
              * Clean the carb but still use the old gaskets. I am looking for the new kit and found ii in Amazon.com. Is the Sierra Carburetor Kit for Johnson/Evinrude Outboard Motors – 18-7043 good?
              https://www.amazon.com/Carburetor-Rebuild-Johnson-Evinrude-0439071/dp/B07RFGV4JH/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1819AJ9JEWYD1&dchild=1&keywords=18-7043+carb+kit&qid=1605540760&sprefix=18-7%2Caps%2C189&sr=8-4

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Evinrude 25.
              fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The OEM kits are better, they included a new float…Might as well go all the way if you are going through the trouble of rebuilding the carb….

Evinrude 25
                Participant

Yes, you are right. Just spend a couple $ more for OEM. This Sierra has some bad reviews!
                  Found a “New Johnson Evinrude OEM Outboard Carb Kit with Float 439071 BRP/OMC Carbureto” on E-bay for $22,99 with free shipping to US.
                  Cool! It also includes the carburetor float gauge #324891.

Mumbles
                  Participant

I can tell by looking at the Welch plugs this is a Chinese copy of the 439071 kits. I’ve used them and they will work with a bit of tweaking. The float valve threads aren’t cut deep enough and will need chasing with a proper dye. Also, the clear plastic pieces which go over the needle packing washers are too large and I end up using leftover ones from other kits.

Evinrude 25
                    Participant
                      JOHN HOLBIK
                      Participant

I am working on a 65 Evinrude 18hp.How did you get the wobble out of the magneto plate mine is wobbly and it changes the point gap.
                        Thanks
                        John

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 32 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.