Home Forum Ask A Member 1962 Johnson 10 hp

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Donald Keller
    Participant

US Member

Goodmorning , I have bought a 1962 johnson 10 hp that I came across. I have got all new seals , an impeller to install on it…an paint, to restore back with..appear to have been neglected some what through time..I have cleaned it up anhave put it in Barrel…It runs great…and idle great too..I checked compression and it is showing ….60 on top and bottom cylinders.?. I was considering putting another powerhead on it…Would a 1959 evenrude 10hp, bolt up on this motor….or would I be better off putting rings an new seals in this motor…Thankyou all ..in advance for info an advice.

jimk
      Participant

If it runs great as is I would question your compression gauge?

Donald Keller
        Participant

US Member

Ok…Thankyou JimK…after I get all the new seals in it an painted,I will put on boat to run some..And I will also get another gauge to check with…thanks again

crosbyman
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

if it works don’t fix it  …they say  🙂

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Donald Keller
            Participant

US Member

Thankyou Crosbyman…even though it runs great…I was just concerned about the compression numbers…it is probable like jimk suggested, ..my tester is not right…

frankr
              Participant

US Member

1962 has the better pistons. Don’t go backwards to the 59 powerhead that would beat the wrist pins loose in the pistoms.

Donald Keller
                Participant

US Member
                  1. thankyou frankr for this info…what years going forward would be the same as the 62??….. I will run this one some on a boat to see how it does…runs great in barrel.
                  frankr
                  Participant

US Member

The improved pistons and pins came out in 1961 and continued through 1962 and 1963….last year for the 10hp. 1964 was a totally different motor making 9.5hp

Donald Keller
                    Participant

US Member

Thankyou frankr…for all the valuable info.i had no idea about the improved pistons an the years they produced them. Thankyou all for  the helpful info.

seakaye12
                      Participant

US Member

This is a Mumbles Pic.  Member Mumbles has some of the best images around when it comes to explaining things.  Note the year markings on the rods.

Early-Late-QD-Rods-Pistons

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.