Home Forum Ask A Member 1962 Johnson 10 hp

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Donald Keller
    Participant

US Member

Thnakyou Seakaye 12 for posting Mumbles pics. There is a big difference in the Poston an pins…I can see why the 61 _63 are better now.This leaves me with another question? I have a 1956 Evenrude 10hp..This means it has the old rods also…The 57 in pic is a smaller rod than the 59..So my 56 has weak rods an pistons also?? It has original paint on it .It looks and runs like a brand new motor., It is strong..Will push a 13 ft fiberglass dixie 17mph…with just me an tackle..2 people an tackle little around 12mph.I shure hope it does not mess up a rod.I have learned a lot from you all on these motors.I thankyou all for the valuable info…Thankyou

frankr
      Participant

US Member

Look at the wrist pins.  The “weakness” was the pin diameter.  The smaller pins would beat out the hole through the pistons and become very loose.  Incasing the pin dimeter gave them a much larger contact surface area inside the hole Also note the wrist pin bearings, The new ones were huge in comparison.  in fact, they are the same bearings as used in the 40hp and V-4’s.  BTW, the ’61-’63 parts can be used in the older motors.  But you have to do the whole thing—pistons, rods. wrist pins, snap rings, and bearings,  If you look at the parts list for the older pistons, it will show a list of the parts that are needed for update.

Donald Keller
        Participant

US Member

Thankyou frankr

It is good to know that the newer pistons an rods can be used in the older motors.This is valuable info.I have learned a lot from you all about these motors an how to ,an what to do and not to do..I sure hope the 1956 10hp. holds up….if not i now know how to start to fix it…Thankyou again…all of you..for the valuable info
          <!–more–>

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thankyou frankr

It is good to know that the newer pistons an rods can be used in the older motors.This is valuable info.I have learned a lot from you all about these motors an how to ,an what to do and not to do..I sure hope the 1956 10hp. holds up….if not i now know how to start to fix it…Thankyou again…all of you..for the valuable info
            <!–more–>

It is easy to determine if you old 10hp has loose wrist pin issues.  Get the pistons in mid travel (with the plugs out), and rock the crank back and forth just slightly to feel for slop.  You can usually hear a ticking noise while the engine is idling if you have this issue as well.  I use 16:1 in my older 10hps, hoping the extra oil might help protect against this issue.

Donald Keller
            Participant

US Member

Thankyou fleetwin

..I just now pulled the plugs on the 56 evenrude 10 hp…and you are right.I can feel just a little bit like you said.I also checked the compression with same gage that I used on the 62 10 hp…the 56 is showing 70…top an botom…the 62 showed 60 top an bottom..I don’t now if the gage is right or not.came from Orillieys auto.I been running 24 to 1 on the 56…I will start running 16 to 1 ..like I do my 5.5 s an 7.5 s..

Donald Keller
              Participant

US Member

Thankyou all so much for all the valuable info.I have truelly learned a lot from you all.I have like 16 of these old evenrude an johnsons..from from 1952 to 1969..an from 1.5 hp up to 25hp…I enjoy running them an working  on them.Guess I got more than I need though..lol…Lord willing, I will be 68 this fall.Just now getting my strength back from my second heart attack.Thankyou ,all

fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thankyou all so much for all the valuable info.I have truelly learned a lot from you all.I have like 16 of these old evenrude an johnsons..from from 1952 to 1969..an from 1.5 hp up to 25hp…I enjoy running them an working  on them.Guess I got more than I need though..lol…Lord willing, I will be 68 this fall.Just now getting my strength back from my second heart attack.Thankyou ,all

All the more reason to enjoy life and your outboards!  Those old 10hps are great engines, even with their engineering flaws

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.