Home Forum Ask A Member 1965 3hp evinrude won’t stay running

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Mumbles
    Participant

Sounds like you might have a fuel flow problem from the tank. The filter in the tank and the small tube to the carb can get plugged or restricted quite easily. Have you tried running the motor with a full load of fuel in the tank?

DSC00003

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Sounds like you might have a fuel flow problem from the tank. The filter in the tank and the small tube to the carb can get plugged or restricted quite easily. Have you tried running the motor with a full load of fuel in the tank?

DSC00003

Yeah, Mumbles suggestion makes sense and should be looked into

wrenchero
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

If I pull the hose from the carb and open the valve,it seems to have good flow. I eliminated the tank and line by running it with the tank and hose from my 2hp. Had same problem. Could a problem like this be somewhere behind the carb? Reed plate,worn bearings,etc…?

mn

The Boat House
          Participant

I chased one of these for a week. Taking the fuel line
            at the carb it seemed to have good fuel flow but having
            run out of options I took off the fuel line ran a pipe cleaner
            with some carb cleaner through it. That did the trick. I
            don’t know if that could be your problem but is sure was
            mine.
            Tubs

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Just want to review and make sure I have it right…You said that you put another carb on and it runs the same, put that carb back on the original engine and it runs fine, do I have it right? Then you substituted another tank and nothing improved, correct? I am assuming you did not use the rubber hose from the problem engine. If I have everything correct, then you seem to have eliminated the carb/tank/line by using pieces from another engine….I am assuming your fuel/oil supply is fresh and water isn’t an issue…
              The reeds are easy enough to inspect with the carb off, just remove the one remaining screw, try not to damage the gaskets, some of them are NLA. The compression readings seem normal, does it appear that the powerhead has been apart before? Any signs of water on the plugs after it quits?

wrenchero
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

You are right about carb and tank.seems like it shouldn’t be carb or tank but I know you have to backtrack sometimes. Fuel is fresh but I’ll try new batch. Doesn’t look like engine has been apart before. Never ran this engine. I have a couple others that run great.

mn

wrenchero
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

No sign of water on plugs either

mn

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.