Home Forum Ask A Member 1965 40HP Evinrude

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    aziegner
    Participant

The line were NOT askew. I remember it revving last year but now it bangs in and out of gear?

chris-p
      Participant

Time to open up the gearcase and inspect the clutch dog then.

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

A slipping prop hub will act like a car with a worn clutch, RPM will climb excessively when power is applied but the prop isn’t really spinning due to the worn rubber hub in the prop.
          A worn clutch dog will be more of a violent jump when power is applied, almost as if you hit something. Perhaps your shift linkage is loose or misadjusted causing the problem, but misadjustments like this usually cause clutch dog wear as well.
          I sure hope the problem is the prop hub!

aziegner
          Participant

Cone/prop not askew. So probably a gear issue. I don’t know if I’ll attempt repairing gears – lower end since Ive never done it before.

aziegner
            Participant

It’s a violent shift.

rvpapasso
              Participant

My 2 cents if you have to replace anything in the lower end on your 1965 40Hp motor. I run a 1960 40Hp Johnson and had the lower end slipping out of gear due to worn parts. I did my homework and found OMC later modified the clutch dog and prop shaft to use a spring and balls to force the clutch dog into forward or reverse eliminating chatter when shifting and ensure the clutch dog is firmly nestled into the gears. There was a service bulletin for the dealers to do this (I don’t recall the bulletin number). I had this done in 2001 and it was expensive but only a tad more than replacing a worn clutch dog and forward gear. Laing’s outboards (716-693-9070) in New York had the parts:

Used prop shaft (already drilled out) w/balls and springs: $100.00
                New clutch dog: $60.00
                New Forward Gear: $160.00
                New clutch dog cradle: $14.00
                ————————————-
                Total: $344.00

I highly recommend if you have to replace the clutch dog or forward gear you include this mod.

aziegner
                Participant

Ok.thanks

chris-p
                  Participant

What area are you in? Perhaps a local member could help out? If you buy parts, post a wanted ad in the classifieds, there are a few good guys that sell nos parts very reasonable.

aziegner
                    Participant

I am in Brattleboro, VT. The AOMCI classifieds? Upon disassembly I discovered the pinion gear chowed/missing teeth. ???

aziegner
                      Participant

Turns out the pinion gear was chewed up probably because the dog gear was worn.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 27 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.