Home Forum Ask A Member 1965 40HP Evinrude

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    aziegner
    Participant

Hi All:
      My good old motor ran great for me last year. New to me … it’s good and strong for an antique. Meantime, late in the season she start loosing power – slipping out of gear. If I came to a complete stop shifted from forward back to neutral it "reset". Could the dog gear be warn? Is this motor an electro-magnetic shift? Is the gear is warn can I attempt to fix it if I have never done it before?

chris-p
      Participant

What is your model number?

aziegner
        Participant

Model Number Is: 40552m

chris-p
          Participant

Ok you have a standard shift gearcase, super quiet casing.

Is it jumping out of gear, as you go mainly higher RPMS, like hitting a log? If so, clutch dog or adjustment.

Or is it revving up a bit, losing power and thrust? Could be the prop hub is slipping.

Will need a few more details to determine what is going on.

chris-p
            Participant

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johns … case+Group

Here is the parts for the gearcase

wiscoboater
              Participant

Yowza!! That’s one expensive dog! 😮

reivertom
                Participant

US Member

I have had that happen on a couple motors, and I immediately thought the worst both times. Both times it was only the prop hub slipping. It wouldn’t do it all the time and that’s what was so strange. I finally figured it out and found it mostly happened when I tried to rev the motor faster than normal or if the boat had a bigger than normal load in it.

aziegner
                  Participant

it skips / slips at any speed. Feels like it jumps in and out of gear. It doesn’t slip long enough to loose thrust per say.

aziegner
                    Participant

yes, yes loosing thrust. And yes I hit a log last season (as I remember).

chris-p
                      Participant

Sounds m e like the problem is your prop.

Draw a line across the prop and hub with a sharpie marker. Take for a run, until you hear it revvvv. Then re inspect, if the lines are now askew, the hub is spun. You will need a new prop, or get that one re hubbed.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 27 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.