Home Forum Ask A Member 1965 40HP Evinrude

Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    aziegner
    Participant

Turns out the pinion gear was chewed up probably because the dog gear was worn.

aziegner
      Participant

The pinion gear left metal shavings. Can I clean the bearings really well or is it recommended to replace them?

aziegner
        Participant

The pinion gear left metal shavings. Can I clean the bearings really well or is it recommended to replace them?

aziegner
          Participant

Any advice as to how to reinstall the pinion bearing? Upon disassembly the long bearings fell out along with the sleeve it sits in. Is it best to replace it – new or is there a trick to piecing it all back together?

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

It is OK and common for those rollers to fall out of the pinion bearing cage. Simply dry the cage and rollers, then coat the inside of the cage with Vaseline and place all the needle/rollers back in place.

aziegner
              Participant

Thanks. What the recommended cleaning solution to rid the gear case of metal shavings – break cleaner, simple green, WD40?

fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, you have a thrust bearing underneath that pinion bearing, along with a needle bearing just below the upper seal that you don’t want to rust with water based cleaners. There might be metal shavings in that thrust bearing too, you won’t really be able to tell without removing the pinion bearing to get at it.
                  I dunno buddy, you might be better off looking for a decent used gearcase.

Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.