Home Forum Ask A Member 1969 4hp Folding Johnson Outboard not circulating

Viewing 6 posts - 21 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    joesnuffy
    Participant

I did modify the copper water tube I made a new one that is a tad longer and drilled out the foot area a tad so when you fold the foot closed the copper tube goes into the foot a tad. That way I can place a O-ring or O-rings around the copper tube thus shimming it so it seals very nicely when closed again the new rubber grommet I put into the motor. When I get the oring I will take a pic of it but for now I am going to post a few pics that gives you an idea of what I did. I really like the way it works now. I have the old copper pipe sticking into the foot to make sure the hole was correct and it fit very nicely. I have since pulled it out and shortened the copper tube where grommet goes and it hangs out just enough to go into the foot a bit.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by joesnuffy.
      joesnuffy
      Participant

If you look at this pic of exhaust tube it still has some of that crap I found blocking the water from going through the small water gutter it looks like mud daubers crap or something maybe someone knows what the crap was? I wish I had taken a pic before I cleaned it out.

joesnuffy
        Participant

Here are a few more pics Picture 1 is where water exits bottom cylinder and it is obvious it is not clogged and the big hole beside it where water comes from top cylinder is not clogged. Picture 2 and 3 is where water enters the motor and it is not clogged but I new that before pulling the power head.

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I would use one of those plastic restrictor nipples that the larger engines use…That is a pretty big diameter hole in the water jacket. The restrictor nipple will reduce water volume out of the block at this point but increase the pressure for a stronger telltale spray…

joesnuffy
            Participant

Fleetwin,
              I decided to use a brass nipple because I think the jb weld will fuse/adhere to the brass and the block cylinder jacket which I used a razor knife to clean the block cylinder jacket down to the metal and I could scrap some tiny groves in it for the jb weld to fuse/adhere to the brass and aluminum making it very strong. The jb weld wouldn’t adhere to plastic. The hose I used has a very small inside diameter which is about the size of a metal ink pen brass cartridge so it should restrict flow of water very well. The inside diameter is so small I had to drill it out on one end so it would fit over the brass nipple. I will take a pic of it once I start it and make some better pics of how small the inside diameter is I can measure it with a pair of calipers.

Thanks,
              Joe

joesnuffy
              Participant

Here are some pics of the mod I did to where the engine folds together. The new grommet still wouldn’t seal when it was shut that is why I extended the copper tube a bit and could shim it with a O-ring. It worked very well. I ran the motor in the tank yesterday and water was coming out the blubber holes like it should it had not done that with the restriction. The motor also runs cooler so I am happy about that. The guy is picking the motor up this afternoon.

The pics are without the o-ring and with the o-ring.
                Thanks,
                Joe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdlBhGO7_ZQ

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by joesnuffy.
              Viewing 6 posts - 21 through 26 (of 26 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.