Home Forum Ask A Member 1969 4hp Folding Johnson Outboard not circulating

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    joesnuffy
    Participant

Thank You Fleetwin the power head must come off at this point I am alo concerned water needs to also exit as normal to keep exhaust temps in range. I’ll take a video of where I’m at and the mod. Thank You joe

joesnuffy
      Participant

Here is a video of where I added the p tube. Not sure if I will keep it once I pull the powerhead but for now I will leave it. If I decide to keep it I will have to jb weld a small metal tube out of the block to attach the drain hose. I got a lot of projects going at the moment but I will post updates once I pull the power head.

Thanks for the help,

Joe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDZytwnZ4GY

joesnuffy
        Participant

Just for grins I am going to post my home made timing tool to get points to break at 180 degrees apart. I have the real tool it just isn’t here with me in Florida. I got to thinking I could make one with a zippy tie and a socket ratchet and socket. The flywheel has 2 marks on it so I lined 1 mark up on the flywheel between the 2 marks on the magneto plate near carb then took a sharpie and marked the back of the magneto plate where the other mark is on the flywheel. Once you mark the backside of the magneto plate with sharpie very carefully remove the flywheel without turning crankshaft and put the socket ratchet and socket on flywheel the carefully rotate it using the ratchet teeth in socket until the zippy tie is between the 2 marks on front of magneto plate. You can then rotate it to the rear sharpie mark you made on the back of magneto plate. You can then make your points adjustments and re-check them to be safe and assured they are breaking 180 degrees apart.

The pictures will illustrate what I did better than anything. It actually worked pretty well and I could slip the zip tie off wrench when finished and re-use it.

Guess I will call it the JoeSnuffy Special Timing Tool. lol

Joe

2021_04_26_13_20_IMG_2001

2021_04_26_13_20_IMG_1999

2021_04_26_13_41_IMG_2002

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by joesnuffy.
          • This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by Mumbles.
          fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, well you have that tap directly into the cylinder water jackets, which is before the water enters that upper elbow and exits down and out of the powerhead…So, are you saying that the engine does not overheat now that this overboard tap is in place? If so, then this would indicate that there is an issue in the upper exit elbow, or perhaps down below the powerhead where the water exits. You have already had the powerhead off, correct?? If not, it is time to pull the powerhead off…Not a big deal, as long as this is a fresh water engine…Be sure to order the gaskets first.
            I don’t know what to tell you about that telltale. Adding this might make the engine run cooler only because you are bypassing any intentional restrictions through the elbow and down tube.
            Keep in mind that just because you see water coming from that telltale is no guarantee the engine isn’t overheating. I guess I would keep the telltale and check block temp after the problem is solved.
            Just want to back track and review this situation though…Keep in mind that the exhaust cover will normally get very hot on this engine, it is not water cooled. The head surfaces will usually get pretty “warm/hot” also. Block temp is usually checked on the stbd side of the block where the water exits down and out of the powerhead. I just want to make sure we are not trying to fix something that isn’t broken…The paint on the head and block doesn’t look burnt/discolored…
            I will review this thread when I have more time….D

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, reread the entire post, you have not had the powerhead off yet….So, are you saying that the engine runs at normal temp with your overboard tap in place? Will it overheat if you plug it off? Once again, I don’t want you to “fix” something that isn’t broken…These engines normally run pretty warm/hot, especially the exhaust cover and cylinder head…Block temp is checked on the right side of the block on the vertical water passage that leaves the powerhead.
              If the engine runs too hot with your overboard tap plugged off, then the next step is to pull the powerhead. Order the two gaskets first, remember what I said about the wrong gaskets…You will need three gaskets: there is one between the powerhead and pan, there is another between the inner exhaust tube and motor pan, and the third one between the exhaust housing and motor pan…
              http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1969&hp=4&model=4WF69B&manufacturer=Johnson&section=Powerhead+Group Item 10
              http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1969&hp=4&model=4WF69B&manufacturer=Johnson&section=Lower+Unit+Group-folding+Models items 38 and 62

joesnuffy
              Participant

Fleetwin,
                Sorry for not posting sooner we had friends visiting us for the past week.

The engine is running at the correct temperature. Checking it on the right side of the engine with a laser temperature device various places all over on the engine block it runs around 140-163 degrees even down at the bottom of engine where water would normally exit. I ran it for 15 minutes in the tank and no overheating issues the water that exits the telltale is very hot.

I think I will make the telltale permanent the owner really liked the idea of being able to make sure the motor was circulating especially since it is the folding motor.

That is where I am at on the motor I haven’t pulled the power head. The owner is in no hurry to get the motor back he is using the one I sold him at the moment to get back and forth to his sailboat and he told me to do whatever I want to the motor so I may pull the power head since it would overheat if I plug off the telltale I put in. I have been careful not to overheat the motor that is why the paint doesn’t look burned. When I felt it getting to hot I turned it off immediately.

I’m having a boat lift and dock extension put in at my house starting today so that will be keeping me busy for a few days but I will report back when I get some more info.

Thanks,
                Joe

ps I ordered the gaskets.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by joesnuffy.
                fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

sounds good. I just wanted to make sure we aren’t trying to fix something that really isn’t broken. Did you get the proper water tube grommet for the folding joint? Leaving the telltale in place won’t hurt anything, provided the hose is anchored securely in the powerhead and won’t fall out causing water to spray all inside the cowling…

joesnuffy
                  Participant

I did replace the grommet with a new one in the folding section of engine.

joesnuffy
                    Participant

Fleetwin,
                      Finally got some time and pulled the powerhead and found the restriction. I also put in a brass barb and am going to leave the telltale so owner knows the motor is circulating.

Underneath the power head their is a small type winding gutter that was clogged with some kind of brown mud type stuff and was stopping the water from exiting in the exhaust tube. You can see in the pics where I am pointing to the gutter and where I have the pointer in the hole in exhaust tube where water exits.

2021_06_18_12_54_IMG_2383

2021_06_18_12_54_IMG_2381

2021_06_16_14_10_IMG_2351

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by Mumbles.
                      joesnuffy
                      Participant

Here is where I made the taltale permanent. I used a small piece of black hose for water to exit the inside of black hose has a very small inner diameter. I drilled it out like a half inch inside the tube to get it to fit onto the brass barb and used a metal hose clamp.

2021_06_16_17_40_IMG_2358

2021_06_18_15_04_IMG_2394

2021_06_18_15_04_IMG_2392

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by Mumbles.
                      Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 26 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.