Home Forum Ask A Member 1969 Evinrude / 1971 Johnson 9.5 Runs Poor

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Buccaneer
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

First time I had this one on the boat. Went thru carb, ignition, etc. It’s a 69 Evinrude powerhead in a 71 Johnson.
      Sometimes it runs great wide open, other times it won’t quite wind out. Runs rough at slow speeds. “Shaky”
      and somewhat noisy, even though I checked out all the rubber motor mounts and added the vibration dampers
      to each side of the powerhead. The “carb to mag” syncing procedure in the manual didn’t work out with the marks
      I found, but it started on first pull. I removed the hood while running just in case it was choking on it’s own exhaust
      but that didn’t seem to make a difference. Back to the drawing board?
      Any ideas? First one of these I’ve ever worked on.

https://youtu.be/LxuKI9zggXQ

Prepare to be boarded!

jeff-register
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Maybe top crank seal blowing fuel on the magneto?

billw
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

How’s the side-to-side play between the mag plate and the crank case? I’m also having a weeping fuel pump diaphragm come up in my noggin…?

Long live American manufacturing!

Buccaneer
          Participant

Thanks for the ideas gentlemen. When I originally took the
            flywheel off, it had no appearance of every being “oily”.

The fuel pump diaphragms are original, so there could be
            some issues, but it seem to be getting plenty fuel.
            I haven’t explored if there’s a pump kit available for these yet.

I don’t remember there being any excess play in the mag plate,
            but that’s something to explore.

So far I’ve put a new impeller in it. I was going to see if the motor
            was viable before I dumped more money into a motor I’ll probably
            never use. I do like to try to solve mysteries though, so I may
            go back to the basics. I’m not even sure if I put new condensers
            in it when I had it apart.

One thing that bugged me, I never was able to sync the mag to carb per instructions
            in the manual. The assumed mark I found never lined up with the throttle roller,
            or something to that effect.

DSCN6046
            DSCN6035
            DSCN6892

Prepare to be boarded!

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, I think the sync might be your issue.  There are a few different linkage pieces here that are easy to mix up and not get installed properly.  I wish I could be more explicit in my guess, but I remember having this same issue that last time I looked at one of these issues many years ago.  The key here is that you can’t get the sync to line up according to manual instructions.  If those linkage pieces are not assembled correctly, the throttle plate will be held open and the engine will sneeze/pop at low speeds.  And yes, I did hear the somewhat rich condition at high speeds, but let’s try to get the sync right which might solve that issue as well.

Buccaneer
              Participant

Thanks Fleetwin, I will concentrate on the sync when I get back to it.
                Perhaps some of the 71 and 69 parts got mixed, and aren’t
                playing well together?

Prepare to be boarded!

crosbyman
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

i believe a square fuel pump will directly replace the current one for a test ..anyway

have you  done a total carb job as per Leroy’s  intruction incl. ?  the LS circuit   (see UTUBEs on part 1&2 for the 9.5)

have you seen the UTBE where the  owner shows that  using the link/synk notch  on   the cam wasn’t exactly  the right spot ?

old plug wires  not arcing or open in a bend around the  mag plate ????

kill wires not frayed and grounding ??

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Buccaneer
                  Participant

Crosbyman, Thanks for the input!

Regarding the fuel pump, are you talking about an OMC pump,
                    B&S, or ?

I have not watched the Leroy YouTube video on the carb, nor
                    can I remember much about the carb when I worked on the motor,
                    but I seem to remember it seemed very clean inside.

I’ll have to revisit several things you mentioned! Thanks.

Prepare to be boarded!

Buccaneer
                    Participant

Looked at Youtube for 1/2 hour, and did not find any “Leroy” carb and sync videos.
                      Tons of videos on cleaning the 9.5 hp carbs, but did not find one on syncing.

Prepare to be boarded!

crosbyman
                      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Leeroy’Sis just  an article  on the MQ  version   not utube… sorry for any confusion  part1-2 alluded to  specific videos see below

the  link sync process is posted above   I did see a video  about a guy who said  the  “notch position”  was not the perfect place for the cam follower . he adjusted a bit more to the right side of it—>

try the conventional way…. adjust  cam follower to just start to open the plate  at START when the  cam touches it….

small  square pump omc ……… fits perfect over the pulse hole      if I recall

9.5 Hp Johnson Evinrude Outboard Carburetor Rebuild – 1of2 – YouTube

(125) 9.5 Hp Johnson Evinrude Outboard Carburetor Rebuild – 2of2 – YouTube

Johnson (leeroysramblings.com)

…..  There is no aftermarket carburetor kit available for these motors.   The BRP part # is 0382048, which includes the float.  Available for $30.96 as of 5-2013.  I am disappointed in this kit.  It comes with, (like most) repair parts for both the early and late carbs but does not come with everything.  On this carburetor, there is a 1/2″ core plug on the outer part of the carb that is inline with 3 small holes in the carb throat.  These holes had to be drilled through the access hole this core plug covers up.  However INSIDE and under the core plug is a plastic filler plug #0312909 that is not included.  On the one I repaired, it would be impossible to remove this plastic plug without destroying it.  Oh yes, this kit also included a old style fuel pump cover gasket and filter screen.

adjust the side knob … for  good idle speed

goind off line for a good while… good luck

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 22 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.