Home Forum Ask A Member 1973 6Hp Evinrude Fisherman hard starting cold

Viewing 10 posts - 61 through 70 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    crosbyman
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

you can probably buy a motor /mag plate  for the same price !!!

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Tom Bertulli
      Participant

Just out of curiosity- All those older OMC mags 1960 through about 1975, 3 to about 20 hp look very much alike- almost identical in fact. Are they interchangeable? It would make it easier to find a substitute.

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I know I have a few 6hp mag plates, although they don’t include coils.  Let me know if you want one, just pay for the shipping.   Don

Tom Bertulli
          Participant

Do you know if the mag plates are “common” to all the small hp OMC’s. If they are I could likely source one from around the neighbourhood. If not, I would take you up on your kind offer If you are confident they are not too worn, I don’t need coils as the ones I have are almost new. Where are you and how much do you think shipping might be to Sudbury, Ontario, Canada?

Tom Bertulli
            Participant

Further curiosity- does anyone out there know what the diameter of the crank case bearing surface at the mag plate should be, or how I could measure it’s wear?

Tom Bertulli
              Participant

I found an old post by one of your guys called Mumbles “February 26, 2019 at 3:58 pm#169760
                The universal mag was used on the 3 and 4 horse motors until ’84, the 6 until ’76, 9.5, 18, and 40 horse until ’73, 20 and 25 horse until ’72. The 2 horse used it until ’86 and the 1.25 and 2.5 horse motors used it from ’87 on.

Remember the cranky Low Tension mag as used on ’74 – ’76 9.9/15 horse motors? It and the Universal Mag were replaced with the superior CD (Capacitor Discharge) Ignition system as time went on.

This gives me the impression that any mag plate from any of the 3-25 hp OMC’s from about 1960 -75 would fit. I’ve got a scrap power head from a 1960 18 hp Johnson that I could swap. Any comments?

crosbyman
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

if you look up the parts listing both the 6hp and 18 use  mag plate  # 0584810   so they are identical 🙂

Evinrude Parts & Johnson Outboard Parts at MarineEngine.com

Tom Bertulli
                  Participant

Thanks – I never thought of that. I’ll dig out the old 18 hp powerhead.

crosbyman
                    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

btw thay also show an original   part# 0580360…..but the 0584810 is a replacement/equivalent

so basically  whatever the part #  you have        the  18hp mag  should swap

Mumbles
                      Participant

The mag plates themselves  are all basically the same from the mid fifties until their demise. Hence the name ‘Universal Mag’. The only difference in any of them may be the position of threaded holes for clamps or cams etc. Any replacement should have the boss cast in which can be drilled and threaded for the necessary hardware.

Viewing 10 posts - 61 through 70 (of 76 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.