Home Forum Ask A Member 1973 6Hp Evinrude Fisherman hard starting cold

Viewing 6 posts - 71 through 76 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    Tom Bertulli
    Participant

I’m learning more all the time here. You guys are great.
      Thanks all.

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yes, the mag plates are not all the same indeed for the reasons Mumbles mentions.  Sorry, I don’t have the dimension for the pilot bushing on top of the crankcase, but you should be able to see a ridge if it is worn excessively.  Again, you can usually tighten these mag plates up a bit by very delicately “dimpling” the brass retainer plate.  Will it be perfect, no.  Will the ignition work just fine, yes.   I will look for a decent mag plate when I get home in a few days, you are welcome to it for the price of shipping, I have several.  Don

Tom Bertulli
        Participant

I remember watching my Dad dimple bearing & shaft surfaces and it always worked for him. The things he could do with hand tools were amazing and I didn’t think at the time it was any great thing. I was wrong & should have learned more. The first outboard he bought new (of only 2) was a 1953 Fleetwin & he was very proud of it, as most of his buddies had Mighty Mites & 5 horses. In the early 40’s he wanted an arc welder, but of course there were none to be had at any price. He went down to our local winding shop and had someone teach him to wind what he needed. Then went to the dump and scavenged old transformers for wire and cores before the war effort got them. It burned out in the 50’s, but we had that welder in the back of the garage until 1970 when he retired and bought himself a little Miller 225 amp. I still use it.

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I found an old 6hp mag plate that appears to be in decent shape if you are still interested… Don

Tom Bertulli
            Participant

That would be very kind of you Don. How do you suggest we arrange this?

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Respond with your address and I will check with the post office to see how much the shipping will be.   Don

Viewing 6 posts - 71 through 76 (of 76 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.