Home Forum Ask A Member 1973 6Hp Evinrude Fisherman hard starting cold

Viewing 10 posts - 51 through 60 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    Tom Bertulli
    Participant

I’d like to but the reason I went to solid state ignitions is because the mag plate bearing and crankcase to bearing surfaces are badly worn and the points won’t hold a setting. I have shim stock in the bearing to take up as much slack as possible, but still leaving enough slack to allow the normal movement of the mag plate. This is a great old motor. I think electronic ignition is the only solution if I can find compatable chips. I like the idea of going fishing though!

Thanks for replying , your past advice always benefited me.

The Boat House
      Participant

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, so the engine runs pretty well now?  If the bottom plug still looks messy, perhaps you need to pull the powerhead and check the lower seal components, not a tough job.  Does the engine still “pop”/falter at mid range when accelerated quickly?  Is the engine getting up to temp?  It won’t idle very well if it is running too cold.

Tom Bertulli
          Participant

Thanks. I’ll keep this in mind.

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks. I’ll keep this in mind.

The only other thing I can add is what I ended up doing on my stubborn 69 6hp.  It kind of ran like yours, a little fussy starting, strange idle needle adjustment, and bog/lack of WOT power.  I wasted alot of time looking for problems that were not there.  Finally, upped the high speed fixed jet from .044 to .048″ which solved all the issues.  Don’t know why this was necessary, perhaps just an old/worn carburetor.  There were about three different generations of carburetors used on these engines, so I’m thinking your high speed jet is much bigger.  Have you removed it from the carb?  Soak it in strong carburetor cleaner.

And, I would agree with you, this is not an ignition/timing issue.  The timing light shows that it is set to the advanced side, which is fine and wouldn’t cause the issues you report.  OK, won’t pound this thread into the ground, seems like the engine is running OK now.

Tom Bertulli
              Participant

Hi Fleetwin,
                I have cleaned the high speed jet to within an inch of it’s life. I think the fuel side of this equation is OK> the problem is ignition spark. The engine will not start due to the no spark at low RPM issue caused by the NOVA 2 chips I installed to correct the issue of mag plate bearing wear and points not holding their setting. Pull the starter cord – no spark, but rotate the flywheel with a drill and there is lots of hot spark. What I am looking for is a brand of electronic ignition module similar to but better than the NOVA 2’s. Red Atom modules would be great but are impossible to find. If anybody out there has experience with better types of ignition modules I’d like to hear about them.
                Thanks

dave-bernard
                Participant

US Member

Tom I have the red atom’s call me 1 914 310 7086 Dave.

Tom Bertulli
                  Participant

Dave,
                    thanks for the quick conversation. As I said I will be back to you tomorrow regarding shipping & such.
                    Tom

fleetwin
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, just reread and caught up on your weak ignition issue while cranking.  I can’t remember if you said that you replaced the mag plate?  That is all that can be done along with replacing the brass support and aluminum retainer to address the slop issue.  There is nothing that can be done if the actual aluminum on the crankcase pilot bushing is worn.  This engine was used commercially, so this would explain the excessive wear.

You have replaced the upper seal, so oil leakage into the mag plate is not an issue, correct?  I would just convert the engine back to its original breaker point set up if oil leakage/seapage is not an issue.  Carefully “dimpling” the brass retainer plate usually will usually compensate for most of the slop found on the actual bushing, but it is probably a good idea to replace that round aluminum retainer that the mag plate screws into.  The ignition modules seem to add some complexity to this very basic simple magneto along with some reliability issues.  I’m sure you can find a used mag plate somewhere, I know I have a few.  This way, you can keep the modified mag plate aside without having to pull it all apart, reverting it back to its original wiring form.  The used mag plate can be swapped out relatively quickly.  Needless to say, I have not had any experience with these modules, so don’t have much knowledge, accept what I have read here.

Tom Bertulli
                      Participant

Hi Fleetwin,
                        Perhaps going back to the original design may be the way to go, but i’ll have to find a mag plate that I can trust. The problem with buying these with out inspection is that i could be swapping a worn plate for another worn plate. Thanks for the update.

Viewing 10 posts - 51 through 60 (of 76 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.