Home Forum Ask A Member 1978 Evinrude 2hp.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    russ
    Participant

Have this little motor that will not start. Did have it going for about 5 secs. Lots of spark high speed set at 3/4 low speed set at 1 1/2. With choke on I can pull till the skin comes of my finger.It may sneeze or a little backfire but will not start,Have tried more plugs with same result.Have sprayed gas in cylinder still no go. Did a compression test twice and got a 56psi reading.Does anyone have something else I can try. Maybe compression to low. Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks. Russ….

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, 56PSI is pretty low for that engine…It won’t fire even when you squirt fuel/oil into the cylinder? When was the last time it ran OK? How long has it been sitting since then? Compression readings are often false on these little combustion chambers, you might try a different gage…
        Once the compression reading is confirmed, you might want to pull the head if compression is still low…Maybe it is just blown head gasket….Be sure water hasn’t entered the cylinder, squirt plenty of oil in there to keep rust away…

russ
        Participant

Maybe has been sitting for a while not to sure.Compression tester is good. What should the psi be in this little motor? Does not matter what I do just get a little baby sneeze.

Ken Smith
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I have a ’74 2 HP Johnson and a ’76 2 HP Johnson. Both have 100 and 110 PSI . 56 psi is way to low. Ken

www.kenadianoutboards.com

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Your compression tester is probably good, the problem might be the location of the release valve…Keep in mind, that is a very small combustion chamber…So, the longer the hose, the less accurate the reading will be…
              That being said, I don’t think it is a gage problem either… When was the last time it ran OK? Might be time to pull the head/exhaust cover…

frankr
              Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Two bolts will remove the lower unit (to protect the water pump). Now will it start out of the water? If it does, it is a pretty good clue that the motor is worn out (or low compression for whatever reason).

crosbyman
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

my brother had a 2hp….little critter always was a problem for some reason…. this is years ago mind you I know he even found a cracked carb body does yours at least sputter with fresh gas in the cyl. ??? you did not elaborate much .

was did you do clean up wise…??

. did you do the carb orifices, clean & adj the point… th float etc.. is the condenser shorted if you do a ohms reading on it ( a analog dial meter should show low resistance working slowly back up way up to infinity as the condenser charges up. not a foolproof test but better than a short !

can you feel good suction on the carb face if a friend pull starts for you

keep at it… patiience brings joy 🙂 btw lots of sparks is great … what about long sparks…around 5/16″ ??

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by crosbyman.
                  billw
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I just resurrected a 1981 2 hp, for a coworker. It checked in at 115 psi compression. I agree that 56 psi is way too low. It makes you wonder how it even ran long enough to GET that low. It also makes me think Fleetwin is on to something, with a bad head gasket. It happens, especially if the engine had been overheated. Then again, if somebody ran it on 100:1 fuel mix, or maybe even zero to one (oops) then, yeah, it could have gotten down to 56 psi pretty easy. Either way, I’d take the head off and see what you find.

Long live American manufacturing!

russ
                    Participant

Was using 50/1 mix.Did not fire when I put fuel in cylinder. Spark tester lights up fuel is fresh . Going to drop lower unit this morning when frost is gone. No heat in garage.Thank you all for your input. Will post later what I find.

crosbyman
                      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

get a spark tester with a adjustable gap to confirm STRONG AND LONG spark !! if yours is just the flasher type confirm spark jumps 5 /16 something is weird…. gas fumes should at least explode

if you put gas in the cyl. my 9.5 turtle works fine at 65PSI if you are not plannig to spend $$$$ at least get it to poof…then feed it a good shot decarb or seafoam

jmho

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 20 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.