Home Forum Ask A Member 1978 Evinrude 2hp.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    russ
    Participant

Have sprayed different cleaners thru. Took lower end off still no start. Put piston at tdc and put some carb cleaner on top left for 10 min lifted motor up to dump out cleaner nothing came out. Put back in vice carb cleaner coming out lower end.Tried to start again and got a little flame out bottom after 10 pulls.Re checked compression 55 psi.

The Boat House
      Participant

Another compression is too low.

Mumbles
        Participant

This two horse had a blown head gasket and the escaping fire burned a groove into the head and the top of the cylinder. A piece of aluminum casting was also missing from the cylinder in the same area so it took a bit of machining to get both surfaces into acceptable condition again.

DSC00175

DSC00186

Another problem with these motors is the crankshaft seals. Dealer says you have to buy the lower case half with the bearing and seal already installed as a unit. Not so. The bearing and seal can be pressed out and replaced as needed. No matter what anyone says, leaking crank seals do not contribute to the cylinders low pressure. That is governed by the condition of the cylinder itself and the piston and rings.

DSC00183

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Mumbles.
          russ
          Participant

Thanks mumbles and everyone else for help. Will check out head gasket before I do any more. Thanks Russ…

frankr
            Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

mumbles wrote, ” No matter what anyone says, leaking crank seals do not contribute to the cylinders low pressure. That is governed by the condition of the cylinder itself and the piston and rings.”. That is true, BUT many do not realize that crankcase compression is also important in a two-stroke. Worn bearings and seals can make a non-runner, as mumbles also suggested.

crosbyman
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

reeds any good ?? maybe they don’t close pushing whatever fumes if any were sucked in ….right back out the carb face ??

gas will explode in a stack of coke cans or tube to launch tennis balls or potatoes how come this 2hp won’t ignite a teaspoon poured in the cyl. ????

p.s. not motor related I know…..but I have lost a few tennis balls with a shot of lighter fluid 🙂 🙂

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

frankr
                Participant

Not claiming to be a pyrotechnician, but gas doesn’t burn. Gas VAPOR burns when mixed with the proper ratio of fuel/air mixture. Too much gas is “flooded”. Or something like that. Something I learned in school but forgot.

But I haven’t forgotten when I emptied a 12 GA shotgun shell into a glass aspirin bottle and tossed it into a campfire. Don’t try that at home.

crosbyman
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

My dad was a fireman his biggest nightmares were about me with my ” experiments” 🙂 🙂 🙂 he was always worried about coming over to our house with a fire truck and a dozen of his buddies to extinguish my “experiments” …

the jokes would have haunted him all is career …but I never did burn the house down and he ended up working himself up into the fire hall director’s job .

He always said a cup of gaz is worth 10 sticks 🙂 so I just fooled around with homemade black powder .

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

billw
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Ah, the infamous OMC 2 hp. There really couldn’t be a more simple outboard motor; and yet, it often holds so many mysteries….I remember the time one kicked my butt, with a porous carb casting….(I am NOT saying this is the OP’s problem. If his compression gauge is accurate, COMPRESSION is the problem.)

Long live American manufacturing!

Buccaneer
                      Participant

Not claiming to be a pyrotechnician, but gas doesn’t burn. Gas VAPOR burns when mixed with the proper ratio of fuel/air mixture. Too much gas is “flooded”. Or something like that. Something I learned in school but forgot.

But I haven’t forgotten when I emptied a 12 GA shotgun shell into a glass aspirin bottle and tossed it into a campfire. Don’t try that at home.

“Gas doesn’t Burn”……. after thinking about Frank’s quote, I have noted that when
                        it’s 30 below out and you use a little gas to get a fire started, the gas is a LOT
                        less volatile than on a summer day!

Prepare to be boarded!

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 20 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.