Home Forum Ask A Member 1983 Evinrude 15 HP

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    fleetwin
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Was it overheating before you got it? Is the head/block discolored/burned paint? You won’t see any corrosion coming out of the water tube when probed that way, it is the actual smushed rubber of the water tube that may be blocking water flow.
      OK, so the water pump parts are Sierra, you may want to invest in an OEM water pump kit just to rule out that possibility. We will see what happens when you replace the thermostat. Remove the overboard indicator plastic pan restrictor fitting just in case there is crud in there blocking the hose. Again, be sure the water tube isn’t bent and is fitting correctly into the impeller housing grommet.
      Post some pictures of the powerhead so we can see if overheating was an issue before you got this engine.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      Rusted Junk
      Participant

Yes this is the way I got the motor, I sold a 57 FDL11 to a fellow that was going to put twin 18 hp motors on an old boat he bought , I took the 83 Evinrude and a mint condition 54 Johnson QD14 as partial trade. If you look real close at the thermostat cover you can see the paint may have gotten hot, but nothing on the head or block that I can see. I will have my infrared thermometer to use to check motor temperature this time when I run it. The problem my very well be blockage of the rubber grommets. My goal is to get it running perfect and dependable and sell the motor to someone that needs a 15 HP short shaft.
        The motor is in the shop at my lake home , I’ll be heading there when the outboard and some gun parts I have ordered show up.
        RJ

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, so no real big evidence of overheating before you got it… Did it overheat as soon as you ran it the first time? Or, did you judge cooling by the lack of telltale spray? Again, those telltales do get plugged up. It is best to remove the plastic nipple, then blow back through the hose while the engine is running. Once the hose is clear, let it run with the plastic nipple for a few minutes to clear any other crud that might get stuck in there, then reinstall the nipple. The fact that the engine doesn’t show much signs of overheating prior to you getting it kinda suggests the grommets might be OK…The usual scenario is that these engines get overheated, then folks try everything to fix the problem except the grommets…The engine continues to overheat, then the owner gets rid of the engine….But, usually there are obvious signs of overheating, burned paint, melted wiring….
          I know we have focused on the flaws of these engines, but don’t misunderstand. The powerheads and gearcase are really very rugged, and they are great little engines for the most part. A 15hp short shaft model is pretty valuable these days, so don’t “give it away”….Who knows, you may want to keep it…

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by fleetwin. Reason: correction
          Rusted Junk
          Participant

Update on the 83 Evinrude 15HP, I installed the thermostat, spring and retainer with a new gasket, ran the motor with the lower unit water muffs on it and the motor had a strong water stream form the tell tale Port, used a digital thermometer to test head and block temp, got constant readings of 137 to 145 degrees after 20 minutes of running at various throttle settings, so happy with those results. Now on to replacing the the throttle shaft / gear and the ball gear which are both missing a few cogs.

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Cool!

billw
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’m glad you are making some headway. Just be aware that when you run the engine on a boat, at WOT, under a load, that is very different than muffs. With no load on the prop, you can achieve very high, even way TOO high, RPM and still not be really making the engine work very hard. Also, my experience has been that you can often have a decent-looking tell tale stream and still have the water tube grommets be restricted enough to cause a high speed overheat. I don’t mean to be a Debbie-Downer. I just want to make sure you don’t put it on a boat and go flying across the lake in total bliss until the engine locks up. Just pay attention, is all….

Long live American manufacturing!

fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Bill is right on….Those darn crushed grommets may show water flow, but it is not enough….The classic symptom is starting the engine, seeing water flow until it starts to overheat, then it will suddenly blast steam out of the telltale and really heat up. Keep in mind, some of these engines have two of these pesky grommets, if it has the open inner exhaust tube. I surely don’t want you to rip this thing apart for nothing, but the grommet(s) will have to be addressed at some point if cooling issues can not be resolved with simpler inspections/repairs. The grommet/water tube set up was improved over the years, but even some of the “improved” set ups get crushed as well. Needless to say, this is more of a salt water issue, but does happen on fresh water engines also.
                  And, like Bill says, running an engine on “muffs”, means very little. Other than “it runs”. Keep in mind that the high pressure from a garden hose can be enough to overcome restrictions posed by some crushed grommets….D

Rusted Junk
                  Participant

Thanks for the advise, I will test run it on the lake and monitor the head and block temps with my infrared digital thermometer to see what temps it runs, first I must change the throttle shaft and gears, I just received the parts, expensive little items. We’ll see how this process goes.

fleetwin
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yes, way too expensive….See my current dockside chat posting about how to make those gear cogs mesh a little tighter….Keep in mind that this tiller throttle should only be operated when the tiller handle is fully extended in the horizontal position….The gears will get messed up again if the throttle is operated with the handle in a vertical position….An engineering flaw indeed, but not much that can be done about it….

Mumbles
                      Participant

For anyone wondering what this water tube grommet is being referred to, here’s a crushed one and its replacement. There is quite a difference between the two!

9.9-Grommet-Failure

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 20 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.