Home Forum Ask A Member 35 Sportfour plug wire orientation

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    tinkerman
    Participant

US Member

I know I should have checked before I disassembled the motor but I didn’t. So what is proper orientation of the plug wires. Currently I have the two leads from the rear coil to top cylinders (left to left right to right) and closest coil leads to bottom cylinders (left to left right to right) I accidentally touched a plug when cranking and it’s for sure getting fire to that one! ALSO another question …….. the carb has a primer pump and it appears to be similar to a TN 28. Does this pump also have leather seals? And are they different or the same as the TN 28?

It's a jungle out there.

dmbono
      Participant

the primer does not have leather washers, just a brass cup in a brass sleeve. as for wiring, check which points open against which pistons are topping out, and that coil should be firing.

tinkerman
        Participant

US Member

I hate to disagree but……a pictures worth a hundred words. The pump was working fine (on this one- a temporary donor) but engine wouldn’t run on its own power. If I manually used the primer stem and pumped gas to the carb out of the tank it was running great. So I tore this one down for cleaning now the next question , on the side of primer pump there’s a small brass fitting that has a line that runs to face of carb, now that it’s apart I can’t get carb cleaner to run thru either side of this fitting , still trying

It's a jungle out there.

The Boat House
          Participant

tinkerman
            Participant

US Member

I kept depressing the spring and spraying from opposite sides till whatever it was jarred loose. What about the one single ball bearing that fell out any idea where it goes?

It's a jungle out there.

The Boat House
              Participant

tinkerman
                Participant

US Member

Tubs, I couldn’t make heads or tails of your first post til I looked back at the picture. That spring (which I never knew was laying there and thought it lost) held the little bb bearing ball against the idle screw for tension. The check seems to work ok cuz it’s pumping fuel from the bowl to the face of carb via the primer pump. I can start the motor but then I can ONLY keep it running by pumping the primer. (Ran it for like 10 seconds like this and REALLY smooth at certain points) so that tells me I’m not getting fuel thru the carb to keep it running , it also sneezes and carry’s on if I don’t pump fast enough. I’ve sprayed everything I can see to spray. I’ve heard about running fine wire thru orffices but don’t see how in the world to access all of them. Wish I had a cut sheet of this particular carb so I could understand the flow better. Gonna take it off again and clean some,more. I’m really anxious to get this thing purring like I believe it will

It's a jungle out there.

The Boat House
                  Participant

tinkerman
                    Participant

US Member

I put it back together last nite and went out this morning (with the grandkids 4 and 2 so most attention was on them) it started, (seemed to take more pulls) and it ran on its own for much longer than usual. I did some touch up to the paint so I’m gonna let it dry completely and get back out tonite maybe and see if it’ll stir some water. BTW when I tore into it last nite I removed the brass plug that gives access to the two carb throat pinholes and also another chamber. Had to stick the nozzle all the way down into that little chamber and spray the heck out of it to get carb cleaner to pass thru but it finally did so time will tell

It's a jungle out there.

garry-in-michigan
                      Participant

Lifetime Member

That carburetor was also used on the Elto Fleetwin. [/color]

Unfortunately much has been lost through the life of the internet trusting sitespromising to keep your content safe while the fine print no one reads says anything that goes wrong is your fault. the is what I find left of my Sportfour page . . .

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.