Home Forum Ask A Member 35 Sportfour plug wire orientation

Viewing 3 posts - 11 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    tinkerman
    Participant

US Member

Thanks for the comments and for the diagram Gary. What ever I did the last time worked!! Needs some fine tuning but running well with no strange noises. Carburetors have always been my weak point but I feel like I’m starting to get a handle on it somewhat. My next project will be a 28 or 29 Fleetwin so I’m sure I’ll get some more practice! One more general question if anyone wants to educate me. The barrel I have for testing motors is pretty crude, just a plastic trash can. The water only comes about 4 inches above the impeller but on these old direct drive motors within 5 seconds of engine starting its rolled enough water out of the tank that it’s not covering the impeller so I’m NOT pumping water. I’m only starting and running for 15 seconds tops but I know this isn’t good. Is the only solution to get a bigger tank or are there some tricks to the trade. I wanna get to where I can tune the motors and smooth them out but with the situation I have I’m scared of getting the motor too hot. Thanks

It's a jungle out there.

Tom
      Participant

US Member

Test props can be bought for many of the ’50’s and ’60’s motors, but for the ’28 / ’29 Fleetwin, you’ll need to make sure all water lines are airtight, use the correct vented prop, and run it on a boat… Unless you have a very large test tank.

T

tinkerman
        Participant

US Member

Thanks, now I know. As a matter of fact I bought several (6 or 8 ) test props from Lou Danleys collection but none of them fit the older motors I noticed. Guess a trip to the lake is in order. Oops gotta get a boat first lol about the time I got into the old motors I sold my mirro craft. I’ve got my eyes open for a reasonable wood runabout.

It's a jungle out there.

Viewing 3 posts - 11 through 13 (of 13 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.