Home Forum Ask A Member 3cyl stator testing specs

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Beno
    Participant

I get conflicting numbers all over the internet on what its supposedto read . I have this stator off a 3cyl force.. my guess is early 90s. On the yellow circuit i get 1 ohm

On blue to wh+blue circuit i get 2170ohms

On red to wht+red circuit i get 32.6ohms

Can that be right? Stator looks decent shape ..

IMG_20210722_170209_DRO

IMG_20210722_165837_DRO

IMG_20210722_165933_DRO

IMG_20210722_170019_DRO

Mumbles
      Participant

I don’t have any specs for your stator but you might find them in this CDI Electronics Troubleshooting Guide.

CDI-Electronics-Troubleshooting-Guide

billw
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

This is right out of a 1995 Force 90/120 factory manual. Be advised that on many Mercury stators, there is a high and a low speed circuit. This one is no different. There are different readings for 90 and 120 hp, 3 vs. 4 cylinder engines. The 3 cylinder 90 has only a red and a blue wire, not pairs of red and blue. The pairs are probably from a 4 cylinder 120, so that’s what I am giving you here.

Low speed resistance test:
          Between blue and Blue/white should be between 6800 and 7600 ohms.

High speed resistance test:
          Between red and red/white should be between 90 and 140 ohms.

Don’t forget to check these wires for a short to ground, which was common, due the very sharp edges of the laminations. The Red Stator was meant to solve the frequent black stator issues; and they did seem to do that. Yours tests very low on both so I wonder whether it’s just your meter. Be that as it may, I wouldn’t give you a nickle for a black stator. They were nothing but a tow job waiting to happen.

I see that CDI’s readings are less by quite a bit, than the OEM manual. Their info is probably very current, regardless of what OEM says. Still, I would toss a black stator as far away as I could.

Long live American manufacturing!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by billw.
          • This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by billw.
        Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.