Home Forum Ask A Member ’55 Firestone remote setup?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    davidk
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I picked up this very nice 1955 Firestone 16 from Jim Moffat. I’m interested in trying a remote control setup, but I’m not familiar with Scott motors of that era. I have two of the clips that go on the ends of the cables but I don’t know what the rest of the setup looks like? I can see that there must be some kind of bracket that holds the cable to the motor. What do they look like? And how do the steering cables attach? What did the period correct remote controls look like (anybody have some they would sell?)

Attachments:

ken-w
      Participant

US Member

These used a pair of short handled controls. One for gas and the second for shift. Have a set here somewhere try to get some pics.

frankr
        Participant

US Member

here ya go—-I believe it takes two of these stacked on top of each other—

image sharing sites

frankr
          Participant

US Member

If I remember correctly, those are Morse 33C cables, but have Scott’s own fittings on the ends. I may be in error (and probably am).

jeff-register
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

First,
              Very nice motor!! I have been known to have a Firestone. Can’t help you though, sorry. I hear the Scott guys stock has just been sold but buyer won’t tell who he is………….yet! Wish I had a 16hp but not for me this year. Keep it up please!!
              Jeff

davidk
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

That’s awesome, Frank! Now I know what I’m looking for.

I’m going to run over to my Firestone tire dealer today and order the parts…….except that my time machine hasn’t been working lately…….and I’m not sure we ever had a Firestone dealer here in rural Maine?

Interesting that you need two control boxes rather than one with dual controls. I have a friend who has one of those boxes but no handle.

I think this is going to be a long search. Thanks for the info, guys!

david-bartlett
                Participant

David,

Great looking Firestone! I hoe the weather is good for your upcoming meet on Sunday. I would love to attend, but work schedule nailed me again. Next time.

ken-w
                  Participant

US Member

download/file.php?mode=view&id=144
                    download/file.php?mode=view&id=143

Attachments:

davidk
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks for the photos, Ken. so, it looks like two boxes, but they are not exactly the same, huh? Must usually come as a pair?

frankr
                      Participant

US Member

I do think the shift and throttle boxes are the same, but one is installed "upside down". That puts the long slot on top for one, short slot on top for the other one.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.