58 Evinrude 35 Launch Failure

Home Forum Ask A Member 58 Evinrude 35 Launch Failure

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)

• Gary Richey

Replies: 27
    Topics: 8

Well, it didn’t go well. I have a gas flow issue, no, not me, the motor. This was not a problem while barrel running, only when I put it in the water today for the first time. When I squeezed the bulb on the fuel line, it stayed depressed. It would not return to normal until considerable time passed. So the motor would run for a while and then stall out. I’d squeeze it again and it would stay depressed, but the glass bowl by the fuel pump would be full, and then it would stall out again. I rebuilt the gas tank connector/fitting with new o-rings and core plugs and have a new fuel line (with bulb). I noticed when I finished that the two fuel release valves (I think one of them is really an air valve) didn’t protrude from the housing/nipple assembly equally. The one that I believe is the air valve “sticks out or protrudes” maybe 1/4″ while the other (the one with the additional very small o-ring) protrudes at the most 1/8″. These get depressed when the fuel line is connected, however the fuel line fitting is not snug to the tank fitting so I wonder if the second valve is getting depressed at all? I don’t know if these fittings and valves are the problem or not. All I know is that the bulb, after squeezing, is staying squeezed/depressed and gas is not flowing. I attached a picture of the gas tank fitting where you can see (if you strain your eyes) how they compare. Any ideas?

IMG_2345

dave-bernard

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 2014
    Topics: 30

WAS THIS THE TANK YOU USED TO TEST AT HOME?

Gary Richey

Yes. Initially this problem did not exist, everything seemed fine, but it began to show similar symptoms after a few more barrels runs. They were all mostly at idle though so maybe the fuel supply was adequate?

frankr

Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

I don’t know. I just don’t know. After all the back and forth chat, surely you got it back together correctly. But from where I’m sitting, it looks like there might be two o-rings under the fuel valve. Maybe not, I just don’t know.

aquasonic

Replies: 634
    Topics: 42

I have three of these tanks and just took a look at all three. In your picture, it appears that the pin showing more reveal, on the left, is correct, and they should be even. I’m not familiar with the inner workings of these, but could it be that air is not able to enter the tank, creating a vacuum?

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4737
    Topics: 46

I don’t want to add to confusion here….But, will the bulb behave OK with the cap loose?

Gary Richey

I did the air valve side first – has just the one o-ring, went smoothly. With the fuel valve side (the one with the teensy o-ring in addition to the larger one) the larger o-ring just did not seem to seat all the way in. I know it did not go in as deep as the other side. But I figured maybe that’s just the way it is. When I was finished though the valve did not protrude as much, and that was most likely to do with the fact the larger o-ring didn’t seat as far in as it should, keeping the valve “pulled in a bit”? As an end result (this is my theory) the motor fuel pump is trying to draw gas but can’t get it out of the tank. All it is doing is creating a vacuum (depressed bulb). Are the two valves supposed to protrude out of the assembly equally? Could all the above be my problem? At one point today I removed the gas tank cap thinking that might help but it didn’t make any difference.

frankr

Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

I still think there are two o-rings on the fuel valve. But who am I to know?

You don’t have the hose turned end-for-end. Do you?

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4737
    Topics: 46

I still think there are two o-rings on the fuel valve. But who am I to know?

You don’t have the hose turned end-for-end. Do you?

Great point Frank…Don’t overlook the simple stuff… There should be an arrow on the primer bulb showing the direction of fuel flow also…
    Try a different hose assembly to make sure the primer bulb/hose is not damaged.
    Try a different tank to see if the tank is the issue…
    Again, I have not followed this post, so I don’t want to repeat things or cause confusion…
    Ignore my posts if I am confusing the issues here…

Gary Richey

Fuel line is in the right direction and there are two o-rings in the fuel valve, the bigger one (same as the air valve) and the teensy one at the pin end. I’d like to hear from some others about the two pins and do they protrude from the housing equally. I bet they do. All that being said, I’m still confused. Here’s my take on how it all is supposed to work and I know enough to know that I could be way wrong on this. The housing on the tank has two valves, an air valve (with the upper/left pin in the picture) and a fuel valve, the other one. When disconnected from the fuel line they shut, as they have a small spring inside. The spring pushes the pins all the way out. This would I believe prevent any fuel from leaking out the tank through the valve. When connected to the fuel line, the fitting at the end pushes against the pins and thereby opens the valves. With my fuel valve seemingly already opened, because it is sitting probably half way “pushed in”, or more, again due to my likely incorrect seating of the o-ring, by default I shouldn’t be having any problems with fuel flow. The fuel valve right now is stuck open. And the incorrectly seated o-ring is not blocking the orifice for the fuel coming up and out through the housing. Or at least it wasn’t when I did the work. I know this is a lot of verbiage and unless you have done this job before much of it might be unfamiliar. I guess what I’m saying here is – why am I having this problem? PS – I just ordered a couple new core plugs (they have a one-time use) because I’m going to take it apart again and revisit my friend, the o-ring.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.