Home Forum Ask A Member 63 Evinrude Fisherman 5.5 No Fire

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Danny Wheeler
    Participant

US Member

Okay guys giving update,I took care of the things ya’ll told me to check or do.Took everything out and checked no wires were worn through .I put new points,rerouted wires ,gapped at .20 on high point of cam.lined the coils up flush with those marks. Put back together.It fired one time on top cylinder.Could not get anything on bottom. Those coil boots that go to plug wires need replaced they are corroded .I tried to clean up but  really need new ones.Wires are really stiff and spark plug boots need replaced.Just need new wires.

jeff-register
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Get  an ohmeter to check the ciols resistance for starters check the secondary windings each test leads on ground & spark plug output terminal on coil & tell us you have. As you turn the flywheel magnets past the coil laminations the magnets align with A & B laminations then B & C laminations Once the flywheel reaches that point in rotation your points should open. Use the meter or small light with felt markers on the outside of the flywheel to get the best spark. Don’t remove much material from the pointss, use the meter to show the least amount of resistance possable. Remember the magneto is a chain of parts & one broken link stopps everything. Use masking tape on the laminations & rotate flywheel to get clearances correct, coils to flywheel. Have you tested your capacitors yet? Leaky caps  Will kill the spark. Hope this helps

wedgie
        Participant

I guess the picture was taken before the wires were tucked in !    My next guess is, as you suspect , the plug wires and boots.

Normally, if the wires are still pliable, I cut a 1/4 inch off each end to remove corrosion.  I have encountered many plug boots that look ok, but leak badly. Discovered this once using the “touch the boot test “while spinning over with a drill. You can try spinning it over in the dark and looking for arcing.

It is possible that one coil is bad, so check as described with an ohmmeter.

jeff-register
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yes the secondary winding is suspect go from hi voltage output on coil to ground, set the ohm meter on 5 to 10 K (1000) & see what you get for a reading. As far as the plug wires go to a neon shop & get GTO hi voltage wire for the spark plug wire. No shipping costs & should sell for a buck a foot & works great, rated at 15000 volts. If you can get hi flex wire. Don’t adsk how I know neon, I did miles of it restoring vintage signs, Fun work!! Actually neon & argon gasses, argon for the blue colors. Yes long winded!

crosbyman
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

old wires break in the bends sometimes….

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.