Home Forum Ask A Member 63 Evinrude Fisherman 5.5 No Fire

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    fleetwin
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, just to clarify, does the engine have spark or not??

Danny Wheeler
      Participant

US Member

No spark

wedgie
        Participant

Remove flywheel and look at the blue wires. they are likely worn through from rubbing on the point cam. repair with heat shrink if possible and re rout them.

wedgie
          Participant

Also, the black wires need to be tucked in tight. Hub of flywheel will burn through them too.

crosbyman
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

good eye weedgie.  we should all have seen that poor routing.

I ask again… what are the ohms reading across primaries and  primaries to plug boots.

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Mumbles
              Participant

There is a special ring tool used to set the coils but if you don’t have it, no problem.  You can set them properly by lining up the edge of the coil heels flush with the small machined protrusions on the mag plate.  A small straight edge will help in getting this done. Just be ready to enlarge the holes in them as some aftermarket coils don’t fit worth a damn.

If the blue (hot) wire is too long, you might be able to pull it in a bit between the coil and condenser to get rid of any slack. The black (ground) wire can be tightened up by rotating the terminal on the end of it where it’s fastened to the coil. Also make sure the condenser leads are folded right down so they don’t contact the flywheel and the 0.020″ point gap is set while the points follower is on the highest part of the cam. The cam is marked ‘TOP’ on one side and this side must face up.

DSC00087
                Coil-Alignment
                Mag-Coil-Wiring

Mumbles
                Participant

Not good.

Coil-Alignment-1

Danny Wheeler
                  Participant

US Member

Thanks guys I appreciate it a lot.That was why I put a picture of it ,so you could look and tell me what was wrong.I will try to check it out this weekend.

wedgie
                    Participant

After re reading your post about quitting while out on the lake, I can almost guarantee that one or more coil wires are damaged. It ran until the insulation wore through.

I have acquired several motors that had been given up on because of this problem. I think  the engineers could have created some sort of cable routing system that could prevent this very common situation. Hopefully you can repair the wires with crimps and or heat shrink.

As others have said, check for coil heel alignment . Some aftermarket coils need modification by drilling out the mounting holes,it’s easier than sanding down the heels.

Don’t give up, we have all had to re do things.

crosbyman
                      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

never give up

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 25 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.