Home Forum Ask A Member 63 Evinrude Fisherman 5.5 No Fire

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Danny Wheeler
    Participant

US Member

Had a cracked coil,I put 2 new coils,new condensers,points looked good I regapped .020 put every back same way I took out .Will not fire ?  Any feedback appreciated .Thanks.

elgin2
      Participant

US Member

Clean the points til they look like chrome. 400 sandpaper then 600 or 800.Disassemble them completely.

Danny Wheeler
        Participant

US Member

I will give it a try ,thank you !

Gary Haight
          Participant

US Member

Did it run before you changed the parts? If so, I would agree with Elgin about cleaning the points. I don’t know your level of experience changing these parts so don’t be offended with my other suggestions. I would also make sure the spark plug wires are making contact in the coil tube with the metal pin. Make sure the points were gapped at the high point of the cam. If everything looks good, you should get a multimeter and start checking for continuity on spark plug wires. Also check coil primary and secondary winding resistance.

1 user thanked author for this post.
            fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Did you accidentally reverse the coil primary leads, connecting them to the wrong set of points?  Not an uncommon error…  You used the original points, so that rules out some of the defective points being currently supplied by BRP/OMC.  Did you set the coil air gaps properly?

Danny Wheeler
              Participant

US Member

No ,did not set coil air gaps.When I first put flywheel back on,they were so tight it wouldnt turn over.I pulled back off and the armature looked longer than ones I took off so  I sanded it down enough that it would go on and not scrub flywheel.Did not see how to get a feeler gauge in there to check.

Danny Wheeler
                Participant

US Member

Did it run before you changed the parts? If so, I would agree with Elgin about cleaning the points. I don’t know your level of experience changing these parts so don’t be offended with my other suggestions. I would also make sure the spark plug wires are making contact in the coil tube with the metal pin. Make sure the points were gapped at the high point of the cam. If everything looks good, you should get a multimeter and start checking for continuity on spark plug wires. Also check coil primary and secondary winding resistance.

No it did not run,It quit on me out on the lake and would not ever crank again Had to paddle back ,ran good to where I stopped to fish never cranked again.

crosbyman
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

has indicated  above  in Gary’s   question……

what resistance values are to getting  primary to primary wires      and     primaries  to plug boots ??

do measurements with  all wires disconnected from engine  frame and points.

front coil goes to the top plug location.

.”Did not see how to get a feeler gauge in there to check”. 

no need for feeler gauge… just run your finger nail up and down the face of the coils . your fingernail should not snag going up or down

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

The Boat House
                    Participant

It you have spark there is a good chance you blew
                      the head gasket between the cylinders. Check for
                      low but even compression in both cylinders.
                      Tubs

labrador-guy
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

No it did not run,It quit on me out on the lake and would not ever crank again Had to paddle back ,ran good to where I stopped to fish never cranked again.

Danny if your motor does not crank and the coils are not hitting on the magnets.  You could have a problem in the gear case.  There is a shock absorb-er in the gear case that is suppose to absorb shock if you hit an underwater obstruction.  Sometimes they break internally and they get longer, then they lodge in the housing.  The motor feels like it is froze up. Sometimes if you turn the flywheel back and forth by hand it will loosen up.  It might even start but when the prop gets a load put on it, it will jam up again.  Just something to check!

dale

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 25 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.