Home Forum Ask A Member 65 Sportwin surging at high speed

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    willg
    Participant

US Member

Mumbles,

I haven’t changed any ignition parts yet, just cleaned and reset the points. It does have newer short condensers in it, so someone has been into the ignition before me. I want to run it again with the square fuel pump before I do anything else to it.

willg
      Participant

US Member

Well ran it again with a good known fuel pump off my dad’s 1991 15, and is still loosing rpm’s at full throttle. It runs beautifully at idle and mid range.

willg
        Participant

US Member

Started on the ignition refurb tonight and I think I may have found the culprit. The points appear to be "frosty" looking, could this cause an issue?

pappy
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years
            quote Mumbles:

It could be one of the capacitors going away. Just because they’re new doesn’t mean they are good. Since I’ve had several Champion plugs fail right out of the box to, I stick with NGK’s now.

And on the other side of that coin we have had exactly zero failures of Champion spark plugs in over 5 years now at the shop and have had several failures of NGK plugs.

chris-p
            Participant

Prop hub not slipping is it?

willg
              Participant

US Member

Prop is brand new, genuine Evinrude prop.

cajuncook1
                Participant

1965 9.5 hp sportwin?

Always remove the points, even if new and clean them well. A shine that even Mr. Clean would admire.

Edit: I removed the part of my post with exhaust leak issues, because I looked back and you stated that running with the cover off did not help.

willg
                  Participant

US Member

Ignition is all back together with the exception of torquing the flywheel nut. It’s got new points, condensers, German Prufex coils, and wires. I’ll tank test it when I get home from work tomorrow.

willg
                    Participant

US Member

All back together and running now. Seems to be running much better than before with the new ignition, but only a run on the boat will tell.

johnyrude200
                      Participant

Agree with all of the above, but check to make sure there’s no water in the cylinders or leaking gas through the fuel pump diaphragm. I’ve had both issues in the last couple of months on 9.5’s (and other motors for that matter, too). The motor will run erratically to say the least with either issue. Sometimes good, sometimes bad. I had one run OK up to mid range, but be all over the place at the top end.

Make sure you have done a ‘link and sync’ too. Pretty easy on a 9.5…if the plastic follower is stuck under the magneto cam, the motor will run really erratically because the fuel/air mixture is wrong at all ranges.

You already said you’re using new J6’s…there is a situation where plugs that are the wrong heat range can cause surging power (J6’s are fine for that motor, just be sure they’re good plugs of course gapped correctly, wrong gapping can do this too).

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 58 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.