Home Forum Ask A Member 65 Sportwin surging at high speed

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    willg
    Participant

US Member

I have no clue.

willg
      Participant

US Member

T2Stroke recommended I go 2 sizes bigger with today’s fuel though

cajuncook1
        Participant

There is a reason I bring up the jet size and elevation above sea level, is because a while back a member was having issues running a motor that had previously run fine a week before he went on vacation. He brought his boat and motor and they were at a much higher altitude and he had some issues with his motor that had a fix high speed jet.

Frank, had stated that they use to sell an accessory adjustable high speed adapter or something similar. I can’t remember if it was 6hp or 18hp Evinrude.

Wish I would have made a copy of that post.

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Will, go ahead and try that 50D high speed jet.

Mumbles
            Participant

Here’s some kits to eliminate the fixed orifice.

cajuncook1
              Participant
                quote WillG:

Alright, looks as if 64-66 all use the same high speed jet, 49D. Mine has a 48 in it. We have 50D’s in the carb jet box at the shop, should I try one and see what happens?

Interesting that you have a 48D jet when it should have come (per your statement) standard with 49D. Please try the 50D fix jet and see how she runs. This is getting interesting.

Mumbles, big thank you for the adjustable high speed diagram!!!!

willg
                Participant

US Member

No time this weekend to run it, but will try to next week or next weekend, but it is all back together with the 50D jet and seems to run very well.

dan-in-tn
                  Participant

US Member

You go down in jet size as you go up in altitude. I don’t remember how high you have to go before there is a noticeable difference, but what is dangerous is when you come back down to sea level and you are way too lean. Maybe Don remembers, but it was so many jet sizes for every 5000 ft.? Not sure about the height. Long time ago and we didn’t have any altitude in my territory with a lake!
                    The reason I said two jet sizes is because 1 jet size is just .001 which is not much difference in percentage of a .050 orifice. Today’s fuels are dyer with ethanol and just by the nature of how they are made (fracking). Even ethanol free fuel is not the same ole fuel we use to run.

Dan in TN

willg
                    Participant

US Member

Well, ran it again last night with the adjusted float level and 50D high speed jet and it is still surging. Also the screw that connects the throttle arm to the mag plate fell out. I can see the screw in the lower covers but the washers are gone 🙁 :(. Kinda getting frustrated with this one so I am going to take a break from working on it for now guys.

cajuncook1
                      Participant

Sorry, it is giving you hell. Always a good idea to put a sheet or towel in the spaces of the exhaust housing to prevent losing parts and pieces in the abyss. Couple of times I have had remove the exhaust housing halves to get parts. I learned quickly to put a towel or sheet below the power head to prevent loss of parts or pieces.

If you get the project going again, please let us know. Would like to know the out come.

Cheers buddy!

David T.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 58 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.