Home Forum Ask A Member 9.9 Johnson Carb Question

Viewing 5 posts - 71 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    outbdnut2
    Participant

US Member

Success! After much difficulty getting the idle carb passages squeeky- clean, and replacing the low speed needle "bearing" that I didn’t know existed before being helped out by you guys, this 1977 9.9 Johnson idles down for back-trolling perfect. The only thing not working is the broklen parts associated with the minimum idle speed knob on the side, but my friend can live fine without that. Yeah I put in the rest of the stuff in the carb kit too, just because I had it. I got by without removing the lead shot. Had to remove/replace the mixing chamber welch plug, but that was no big deal.

Thanks for all the help!
      Dave

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

COOL!
        I’m glad it worked out finally, and I think we all learned a lot!

joesnuffy
        Participant

Great Job!! I am glad you got it finished.

Joe

PugetSoundBoater
          Participant

Glad to hear you got it running well with a good idle. A good thread and like Fleetwin said ,we learned a lot.
            Wondering how many of you remove the lead shot when rebuilding a carb. The lead shot is not included in the kit,so it is not a standard procedure to clean out under there,even though it is addressed in the manuals.

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
            Robbie Robertson

outbdnut2
            Participant

US Member

So far, I’ve never had to remove lead shot, and only had to remove welch plugs two or three times now that I can remember. This carb had a big welch plug I removed over the mixing chamber. To set the new one in, I put a 5/16" socket wrench on it and tapped it with a hammer – it worked great!. I had the bowl and float off, and set it on an open vise with the bottom side edges on thin pieces of wood.

Dave

Viewing 5 posts - 71 through 75 (of 75 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.