Home Forum Ask A Member 9122R 9.5hp dead….

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    crosbyman
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I have done the electricals numerous oldies yet I just refurbished this 9.5 and I get 0 sparks on both plugs with a fast drill spin

kill switch clip connectors openned
      coils replaced and lined up (continuity OK on both primary and secondary windings)
      points clean (burnished, swiped clean with acetone, adjusted, timed on the nose with FR tool (RW now)
      plug wires reclipped 3/8 inch , cleaned & reconnected (screwed in and mini-booths greased with di-electric grease) at the coils and booth each measure around 7 Kohms to frame ground
      flywheel magnet strong (pulls hard and holds the screw driver)
      condensers both measure around .230-.240 uf

now before I tear it all up and redo all this work ..any hints as to what could be wrong here ???

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

frankr
      Participant

US Member

Coil wires going to correct set of points? Coil ground wires and points wires interchanged? Sorry, just guessing.

crosbyman
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

coil wires should be ok

black is ground…………. green to point and… long enough to reach anyway

the black is shorted to ground under coil laminate screw

I will check spark wires to proper coil ……. front is top plug back coil is bottom plug as I remember

but i’ll trace them out and report back asap

thanks

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by crosbyman.
          frankr
          Participant

US Member

No, my question concerned the green primary coil wire to correct sets of points

retiredoz
            Participant

US Member

Mag plate grounded to block ?

crosbyman
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

FR … the greens goes to the points has mentioned ….. the blacks would never reach the points anyway

as to the greens going to the wrong points .. it would be impossible for those short greens to reach the alternate points

as for the mag plate it should be grounded as always via the base plate screws (the 2 long ones holding the coil body and the 2 short ones

no separate wires attaching the mag plate to frame ground anyway … never seen one on these turtles , cd, ad, qd’s

I checked the top front coil continuity by measuring from the TOP plug booth to each wire primary wire & I see a good 7-8 koms on each wire so my front coil is wired correctly to the proper TOP plug booth …

plug wires are not reversed Frank.

I am going to sleep on this, rip it all out and do what I should have done…..

PLAN A- replace the plug wires …maybe the HV is jumping to ground UNDER the mag plate ????

PLAN B- Condensers measure ok but……… first ….the wires will be replaced with metallic core ones..as always …

if no go the condensers will be replaced

patience bring joy….. 🙂

p.s. FRANK… BTW tiller , linkages and cam roller working real nice when installed properly thanks again for that documentation

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by crosbyman.
                cajuncook1
                Participant

There is simple reason, but sometimes finding the simple reason can prove frustrating…lol

Couple of thoughts:

Verify that the points cam is not upside down. That can definitely cause a timing issue and a no spark issue.

Check for spark in a dark garage or workshop. If it is shorting, then you will see the shorting spark in the dark.

Make sure the tiller handle is advanced all the way to start and the motor is in neutral.

Post a top view picture of your ignition. Many eyes is better then one.

Its got to be something simple.

Cajun

crosbyman
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

i’ll check a few things but is there a kill circuit on these preventing ignition in less than NEUTRAL AND START ???

points cam is ok TOP in on top

something simple… yes I feel it is something stupid on my part because i’ve eaten crow before

i’ll let you guys know if it is on the menu asap

cajuncook1
                    Participant

There is no non-neutral kill on this motor. Just completely remove the kill wires completely from the points to surely rule them out.

If the original wires, you maybe right about shorting some where along the way.

As far as eating crow….well we have all had our share of crow. Growing up in Louisiana, just about anything taste good in a gumbo!!!!!! LOL. Just got to know when to add more onions and seasoning to hide the taste. Chase it down with a bit of beer and no one is the wiser :)I

Let me know if you need a manual for your motor. PM your email.

Cheers,
                      Cajuncook1

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by cajuncook1.
                      • This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by cajuncook1.
                      fleetwin
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

First, please know we have all been here, so don’t be so hard on yourself….
                        OK, you have verified that the points cam is right side up, and the coil primaries are going to the correct set of points. The coils are new, but points/condensers/wires were not replaced, correct? You mentioned that it would be “near impossible” to reverse the coil primary leads, but I have seen it done. The stop switch leads have both been removed from the point terminals, correct?
                        I am guessing that this engine is new to you, and you have never had it running, did you check for spark before going through the ignition?
                        The only simple thing I can add would seem “almost impossible” as well, but are you spinning the flywheel the wrong way with the drill?
                        Other than that, just does not seem likely that you have two bad sets of points/condensers/wires, but anything is possible.
                        There is one other thing I have often wondered about though….The flywheels for the 6 and 9.5s sure “look the same”, but the parts book says they are different. I wonder if it is this was a mix/match situation, perhaps someone put a 6hp flywheel on this engine???

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.