Adding a kill switch

Home Forum Ask A Member Adding a kill switch

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• omcbeaulieu86

Replies: 11
    Topics: 9

Is it easy to add a kill switch to a 57 big twin 35? I have some Johnson remote controls for it but I’ll probably forgo bothering with the wiring since the harness is different than the one on the motor. Im using the controls just to control the speed and FNR. The only thing that I missing is the ability to kill the motor. In the event my steering linkage breaks or any emergency, I want the ability to kill the motor very quickly with a button or a tether cord. How can this be done? Thanks everyone

frankr

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

Well the first thing you need to do is pull the flywheel and add a wire leading to the upper cylinder’s breaker points because the ’57 models didn’t have a kill switch. By adding the extra wire, you will be updating it to the ’58 model which did have a kill switch. Here is the ’58 wiring diagram for the kill circuit. You should already have everything except the one black wire leading to the upper cylinder breaker points.

Wiring-1958_61-35_40hp-manual-start-1

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 3587
    Topics: 326

by linking the 2 points to a normally open switch should allow you to kill the engine by just shorting the points together with a small button switch (console mounted or engine mounted)

you could also be fancy and hook up a remote kill button by just just installing a set of normally open contacts… controlled by a small remote …wireless switch

you have the 12v to feed the remote wireless controller tucked away close to the engine .. or inside the cowl

https://www.amazon.ca/eMylo-Channel-Wireless-Universal-Transmitter/dp/B01A6VOI6Y/ref=sr_1_49?dchild=1&keywords=Wireless+Switches&qid=1592822555&sr=8-49

that way you can kill the engine from anywhere in the boat when the big fish strikes 🙂

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

omcbeaulieu86

Thank you both so much for the advise and help! I can’t wait to get this thing on the water. Just love this engine!

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 3587
    Topics: 326

see evinrude shop instructions

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

1 user thanked author for this post.

omcbeaulieu86

Crazy to think this wasn’t standard issue before 58 when it’s essentially not much harder to include a switch. Then again, did cars have seatbelts yet!!!?

The red boat

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 68
    Topics: 24

Is there a good way to add a kill switch to a motor with electronic ignition modules (not points)?

lindy46

Replies: 496
    Topics: 41

Crazy to think this wasn’t standard issue before 58 when it’s essentially not much harder to include a switch. Then again, did cars have seatbelts yet!!!?

Before 1958, the kill switch was the choke button.

jeff-register

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1564
    Topics: 54

OMC 86,
    Yes the seat belts were available at an extra charge. Car company’s avoided the extra safety parts as it added costs. Just like air bags too were available but who knew!!

frankr

Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

Is there a good way to add a kill switch to a motor with electronic ignition modules (not points)?

Yes. Any particular model?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.