Home Forum Ask A Member Alternatives to Champion D-9J?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    rapier
    Participant

What alternatives are there to this plug, for a 1946 Speeditwin (which lists as original 5MJ)? I used NGK AB-6 variants for all my A-series Johnsons (including the 1929 P-45) and wondered if it’s in the acceptable heat range for the Speeditwin?

garry-in-michigan
      Participant

Lifetime Member

5MJ = D9J = 508 if you’re sticking with Champion. The Johnson PO uses an R-7 = K60R = 506 . . . 😀

george-emmanuel
        Participant

US Member

The NGK plug’s heat range goes down as the number goes up. I started off using AB-6 but went to the AB-7 for my Speedifour, Speeditwin and others.

George

pm-t2
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I always use the antique plugs whenever I can.

It’s not like they’re hard to find, I just scrounge through everybody else’s garbage

Best,
            PM T2

rapier
            Participant

Thanks, much appreciated. Champion hard to find here and I’ve had some failures with near new plugs recently.

rapier
              Participant

Managed to find some K60R plugs on Garry’s recommendation. Thanks again.

garry-in-michigan
                Participant

Lifetime Member

Champion had a problem in the late `40s and replaced a lot of plugs under warrentee until they discovered the plugs they were replacing were a japanese imitation. They were perfect in every respect except for the poor quality of the tea cup porcelain and rice paper cardboard in the box they came in. You could only see the difference by turning the box inside out. Of course the dealers were warned and the Japanese company sued out of business. They made top quality products until they were absorbed by a European conglomerate. Now I fear that Japanese company may be making Champion plugs once again. Evinrude’s money saving move to outsource parts production torpedoed there quality control and destroyed the company. My motto for outboards; "Fast – Dependable – Cheap; pick any two," . . . 🙄

rapier
                  Participant

I did wonder who made them now. Need to go with dependability..otherwise is no fun for anyone.

Mumbles
                    Participant

Quality NGK’s will keep your motor happy for a long time.

The following link shows what the Champion D9J’s cross over to:

http://www.sparkplug-crossreference.com … AMP_PN/D9J

rapier
                      Participant

Yes, my thoughts too. Thanks for the link.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.