Home Forum Ask A Member Alternatives to Champion D-9J?

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    rapier
    Participant
      quote Garry in Tampa:

5MJ = D9J = 508 if you’re sticking with Champion. The Johnson PO uses an R-7 = K60R = 506 . . . 😀

Founds some NOS K60Rs for the P45- they’ve a pin-style side electrode recessed in the thread…how do I set the gap please?

Attachments:

RICHARD A. WHITE
      Participant

Lifetime Member

By pushing that horizontal electrode in or out to get the right gap…

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
        classicomctools@gmail.com

garry-in-michigan
        Participant

Lifetime Member

Since that requires a special tool, it is unlikely that the gap will get out of adjusted by mishandling like the standard "J" gap spark plugs do. . . 😀

rapier
          Participant

If only I’d known..what does this special tool look like (luckily they’re preset to 020)?

garry-in-michigan
            Participant

Lifetime Member

I don’t really know. We never found one that needed reseting. Earl Tweinig (Chief Field service Engineer for Champion) gave us the spark plugs we used for racing. They furnished plugs to almost every one engaged in high performance motor sports. Earl told me if I went to Indianapolis for there 500 mile race, he would get me into the pits to help him change spark plugs in the race cars. Unfortunately that was a busy time of the year for the outboard business, so I never took him up on it. . . 🙂

rapier
              Participant

Great story..damn shame you never made it, that would have been something!

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.