Home Forum Ask A Member Any idea what model/year this Johnson is

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    itchy
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

That 4.2hp motor was made two years – 1937 and 1938. Should turn out as a good running motor.
      Carefullly clean the points, replace the leathers in the primer, clean the inside of the tank and pump in
      lower unit and it should be ready to go!

lloyd
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

For leather primer seals and detailed installation instructions with diagrams Send $10.00 cash (no checks or MO’s) and a self addressed Stamped Envelope to me : Lloyd Lautner 9289 North Long Lake Road Traverse City Michigan 49685

seahuntboater
        Participant

thanks Itchy,

It had spark. After cleaning and reinstalling the carb I had it running briefly from a hose fed fuel funnel. Did not get enough time to adjust fuel mix. Can you please tell me what the initial settings should be on the needle(s). Also should there be an open hole on the part where the primer goes? Any other operational stuff appreciated.
          Thanks Ralph

lloyd
          Participant

Initial settings for both the high and low speed needles should be 3/4 turn open from lightly seated closed. Don’t know what you mean by “open hole on the part where the primer goes” Compression should be 70-77psi. Much good info at: pochefamily.org/outboard except the ad for leather primer seals is about 15 years old and I had to update the price for seals to $10.00 a few years ago. Hard to get the proper leather to make any more.

seahuntboater
            Participant

here is a pic. Am I missing something? When I press the primer I do see fuel coming from the hole in the “Y”

lloyd
              Participant

That hole is the low speed orifice and you should see fuel spray out of the hole when you push down on the primer, so your primer must be working.

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.