Anybody recognize this outboard ?

Home Forum Ask A Member Anybody recognize this outboard ?

Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

• retiredoz

US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 534
    Topics: 26

The boat was a common sight in my youth, typically a home-built clinker set up for two rowing stations (maybe 13-14-ft). The motor is supposed to be a 2-or 3-hp Typhoon, curious who might have produced it

Not in Hunn’s book. Picture is probably from the ’50s

PugetSoundBoater

US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 900
    Topics: 105

I don’t know about the motor, but i sure like the oarlocks. Nice photo.
    If he has a motor, why is he rowing?

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
    Robbie Robertson

retiredoz

US Member - 1 Year

People of my generation didn’t have outboards. Maybe he forgot he had it ?

rapier

Replies: 118
    Topics: 29

It has an air-cooled look about it, open cowl and typical recoil, so possibly a JAP based motor. I’ll have a look through my archives & a local collector may have more gen.

kees

International Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 516
    Topics: 17
    quote retiredoz:

The boat was a common sight in my youth, typically a home-built clinker set up for two rowing stations (maybe 13-14-ft). The motor is supposed to be a 2-or 3-hp Typhoon, curious who might have produced it Not in Hunn’s book. Picture is probably from the ’50s

My first thought was ;
    An "Aldell" from Sweden
    but it makes more sense if you tell us where this picture was taken .
    then you can skip a couple brands or countries and concentrate more on local brands.

Buccaneer

US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 6083
    Topics: 921

Don’t know what outboard that it, but pretty sure
    that’s a downrigger on the side of the boat for
    catching the "Loch Ness Monster".
    Neat photo.

Prepare to be boarded!

amuller

US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 1044
    Topics: 163
    quote PugetSoundBoater:

I don’t know about the motor, but i sure like the oarlocks. Nice photo.
    If he has a motor, why is he rowing?

Thole pins, not oarlocks.

PugetSoundBoater

US Member - 1 Year

I googled thole pins and learned quite a bit. Thanks

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
    Robbie Robertson

chris-p

Replies: 2456
    Topics: 153

Quite certain the motor is not North American.

retiredoz

US Member - 1 Year

Buc, that reel doesn’t look familiar to me either, but note the absence of fishing poles. In those days, handlining was the thing, and that reel was probably there to retrieve whatever bit. This wasn’t sportfishing, in the good ol’ days you and your kin could go hungry if you didn’t catch anything..

The picture is from northern Norway (about 70 degrees N) in the neighborhood where my father grew up. Bunch of islands in the North/Arctic Sea..

And Kees, I too suspect it might be Swedish (perish the thought), but I would have expected it to be called something else. ‘Typhoon’ sounds Asian to me…

labrador-guy

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 741
    Topics: 52

Whatever is going on in that picture can’t be good if he is using those oars! Hope he not to far from home. Picture probably taken by a rescuer! Ben there done that.

dale

retiredoz

US Member - 1 Year

Kees, it appears you’re right on. It is a Norwegian-built and badged Aldell, built by an outfit called Sleipner. Google seems to hint they are no longer in the outboard business, but still around.

retiredoz

US Member - 1 Year

Hey Dale,
    As a gentleman of a certain generation, I’m pretty sure he’d screw around with that little noisemaker only as a last resort. And maybe not even then. That boat was built for rowing, and that’s what we did in those days. I still have long arms and a queasy back to remind me…lol

kees

International Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 516
    Topics: 17
    quote retiredoz:

Kees, it appears you’re right on. It is a Norwegian-built and badged Aldell, built by an outfit called Sleipner. Google seems to hint they are no longer in the outboard business, but still around.

thank you and yes ! I saw it right.
    stole this from the WWW.
    Sleipner Sleipner Motor A/S in Fredrikstad Norway made agreements to produce the Aldell Motor and market it under its own name “Sleipner Taifun”.

and here the original Aldell

BTW, nice photo

PugetSoundBoater

US Member - 1 Year

Kees -thanks for the advertisements. I assume "utombordsmotorn" means "Outboard Motor" in Norwegian ?

Robbie Robertson

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.