Home Forum Ask A Member Anybody recognize this outboard ?

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    labrador-guy
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Whatever is going on in that picture can’t be good if he is using those oars! Hope he not to far from home. Picture probably taken by a rescuer! Ben there done that.

dale

retiredoz
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Kees, it appears you’re right on. It is a Norwegian-built and badged Aldell, built by an outfit called Sleipner. Google seems to hint they are no longer in the outboard business, but still around.

retiredoz
        Participant

Hey Dale,
          As a gentleman of a certain generation, I’m pretty sure he’d screw around with that little noisemaker only as a last resort. And maybe not even then. That boat was built for rowing, and that’s what we did in those days. I still have long arms and a queasy back to remind me…lol

kees
          Participant

International Member - 2 Years
            quote retiredoz:

Kees, it appears you’re right on. It is a Norwegian-built and badged Aldell, built by an outfit called Sleipner. Google seems to hint they are no longer in the outboard business, but still around.

thank you and yes ! I saw it right.
            stole this from the WWW.
            Sleipner Sleipner Motor A/S in Fredrikstad Norway made agreements to produce the Aldell Motor and market it under its own name “Sleipner Taifun”.

and here the original Aldell

BTW, nice photo

PugetSoundBoater
            Participant

Kees -thanks for the advertisements. I assume "utombordsmotorn" means "Outboard Motor" in Norwegian ?

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
              Robbie Robertson

retiredoz
              Participant

Jim, bite your tongue ! That word is SWEDISH ! A self-respecting Norsky would call that a pahengsmotor..

retiredoz
                Participant

http://mo-ped.se/noreg/sportfiske.htm

List of Norwegian outboards built in the ’40s and ’50s. I can still translate if required…

kees
                  Participant

International Member - 2 Years
                    quote retiredoz:

http://mo-ped.se/noreg/sportfiske.htm

List of Norwegian outboards built in the ’40s and ’50s. I can still translate if required…

Hi there again.
                    I have to contradict this a bit ( that list )
                    ….Crescent is 100% Swedish
                    ….Apex is ( MHI ) a what I think a Coventry Apex and is from the UK
                    lists are not always the truth.

auldscott
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

From the Swedish Outboard Motor site at http://www.lagerholm.com/SOM/aldell.html:

Algot Aldell in Karlskoga introduced his first motor A-2 in 1953. It was of a modern design air-cooled and made in three models 2,5 and 5 hp. Husqvarna bought in 1958 the rights to produce the Aldell motors under the Husqvarna name. In Norway the same Aldell engines were produced under the name “Taifun” by the well known factory “Sleipner” who made inboard engines for fishing boats. Sleipner Motor AS in Fredrikstad vas founded 1908 and still exists.

"Taifun" would probably be pronounced "Typhoon." The Norway connection seems to clinch it.

vtfireman85
                      Participant

My family, on my mothers side is from Norway and has a cabin somewhere that requires crossing a lake to get to, the photos I’ve seen look very much like that one there. Norway was my first thought when I saw it before I read the last post. No help on the motor but I could try and send it to my cousin, he may have some idea.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 23 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.