Arrow [HERE] rope recoiled

Home Forum Ask A Member Arrow [HERE] rope recoiled

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• billw

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 2071
    Topics: 66

I snuck in a few minutes on a 1967 3 hp Johnson folder, last night. It came without a recoil rope. I got out my specified 5/32″ cord and cut it to the 71 1/2″ specified length. I installed it on the sheave. (sorry, Mercury terminology slipped out) As far as how much space it took up on the sheave, it looked like the perfect length. I then installed a correct handle, from another Johnson three. However, once it all was all assembled, the “arrow here, rope recoiled” indicator was off by more than a quarter turn, which put it in almost the exactly WRONG place to function as it was designed, to increase torque through the compression stroke. The rope will have to be shortened 5 1/4″ in order to have the arrow in the right place. It struck me that this happens pretty much EVERY TIME I do an OMC recoil. What am I doing wrong?

Long live American manufacturing!

• This topic was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by billw.

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 3587
    Topics: 326

If you “adjust” the pull cord to line things up …. I doubt snipping a few inches out of 6 feet will be a problem..

it is very unlikely you would pull out 5.5 feet of starter rope to start a JW . If you have to pull 5.5 feet of cord something isn’t right .

in any event the concept of overiding the compression is great in bigger engines but a JW isn’t exactly a shoulder twister. jmho

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

The Boat House

Replies: 4549
    Topics: 111

https://www.aomci.org/forums/topic/evinrude-ducktwin-recoil-reassembly/

1 user thanked author for this post.

johnny

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 83
    Topics: 18

I never cut the rope until I get everything installed and lined up.

76-j

Replies: 79
    Topics: 6

measure once & cut TWICE !!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.