Home Forum Ask A Member Atom Red Ignition Module

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    bob-d
    Participant

US Member

Hey Joe, could you take a shot of the Kawasaki module mounted on one of your OMC’s ?
      Thanks.
      Bob D

joesnuffy
      Participant

I winter in St Pete Florida and I don’t have any motors down here but I will give you a link to a video that shows the how-to after I find it again.

Joe

joesnuffy
        Participant

Here is the Kodi Bass video it took me a minute to find it. I love to watch his videos and when I saw this one I started using these modules their cheap and dependable. Its a wizard outboard but you will get the idea. I have learned a lot from his videos and I also watch This Old Outboards videos on youtube they are also a lot of great way to learn things and tips I didn’t know. They can be very funny also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1CTdOD15AQ

Hope that helps,

Joe

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by joesnuffy.
          bob-d
          Participant

US Member

Great, thanks Joe.
            Bob D

joesnuffy
            Participant

Your welcome,

Joe

bwanadon
              Participant

Thank you Joe! I’m going to try the Kawasaki’s.

Don

amuller
                Participant

I can see using electronic modules if the stator plate is loose or the upper bearing worn, such that standard points don’t hold their setting. Absent that sort of issue, what is the advantage?

Mumbles
                  Participant

What is the advantage of Atoms over points and condensers? Zero maintenance, easier starting, better idling, accurate timing etc. and they should never need replacing. Once you’ve tried them, you’ll never go back.

rudderless
                    Participant

Once running, since 1970 first minibike, never lost a point ignition on any of my stuff. 4 years ago I went to the Atoms on my ’76 omc 15hp. Worked fine for half the summer. One fine day the wife and myself were 10 miles downstream when one Atom gave it up.

The Atoms do rob some output to the coil although I never noticed it. Long storage time is problematic for points and usually require a flywheel pull. I have used a 20 amp battery charger to try and revive the points without pulling the wheel when possible and has worked half the time.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                      amuller
                      Participant

It is annoying to have to pull the wheel to clean the points. On the other hand, I’ve seen lots of reports of aftermarket electronic modules failing.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 43 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.