Home Forum Ask A Member Atom Red Ignition Module

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Mumbles
    Participant

It was the Nova II modules which wouldn’t hold up to the job while mounted on an OMC mag. Not the red Atoms, which were originally designed for outboard mags.

A few years ago I posted in detail here about a dozen Nova II’s I bought and tried. They would last between one and forty five minutes before failing. The motor they were being tested on was an early seventies four horse with points style ignition. The motor would start and run just fine but would drop a cylinder in a short time, as if a plug wire had fallen off.

One electrically talented member here figured that since the original patent on the Atoms had expired , everyone was free to make them now and were using inferior parts compared to the originals and they couldn’t stand the voltage spikes the OMC mag produced. Others have claimed to have success with the Nova/Nova II modules but I don’t what make of outboard they used them on. I did have a four horse Chrysler once which came with a Nova and it worked OK while I owned it. I do remember when Debe was making Atom copies, he was having trouble finding transistors which would match the quality of the originals.

Any part can fail, but some do more than others, just like Champion spark plugs right out of the box do.

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by Mumbles.
      bwanadon
      Participant

I ordered the Kawasaki’s today. Amazon says Sunday delivery.

bob-d
        Participant

US Member

Decided to go dig through my point and condenser box after following this post, and found two red Magnatunes made in West Germany. Question…….are these Atoms rebranded with a different name?
          I would like to put them into a 59 Evinrude 10HP that I’m restoring, but will just stick with the original point condenser setup if these aren’t the real Atoms. The box says Sierra Supply 19-5101. Anybody every use these?
          Thanks,
          Bob D

Mumbles
          Participant

I have a bunch of the Sierra modules on hand along with Atoms and the Sierra ones in the blue and white boxes are marked ‘Magnatune Made In W. Germany’ while the ones in the older red and white Sierra packaging are marked ‘ Atom Computer Ignition Sydney Australia’. The instruction sheets included with both modules are identical to the Atom instruction sheets except for having Sierra printed on them. They all have to be one and the same. The only difference I can see between the Sierras and the original Atoms is the packaging. Sierra P/N 18-5100 is for one module while P/N 19-5101 is for two modules.

kerry
            Participant

US Member

I have been looking at these for a few weeks because the first reviews were for an outboard and a chainsaw, two of my faves. https://www.amazon.com/Universal-ELECTRONIC-TRANSISTORIZED-ROP-Shop/dp/B06XKL8ZFN/?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_w=9ntYx&pf_rd_p=43ea9b7e-4160-4f68-b311-3810df065596&pf_rd_r=8J3MPESATQJDA9X1NJNG&pd_rd_r=c1f44c6e-a556-4108-bd2f-5af044d3e435&pd_rd_wg=eswx9&ref_=pd_gw_cr_cartx

If you have too many, AND not enough, you're a collector.

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by kerry.
              bob-d
              Participant

US Member

I have a bunch of the Sierra modules on hand along with Atoms and the Sierra ones in the blue and white boxes are marked ‘Magnatune Made In W. Germany’ while the ones in the older red and white Sierra packaging are marked ‘ Atom Computer Ignition Sydney Australia’. The instruction sheets included with both modules are identical to the Atom instruction sheets except for having Sierra printed on them. They all have to be one and the same. The only difference I can see between the Sierras and the original Atoms is the packaging. Sierra P/N 18-5100 is for one module while P/N 19-5101 is for two modules.

Thanks Jim.

joesnuffy
                Participant

Kerry,
                  Those are nova2s you have posted the link for on Amazon. I would try the Kawasaki module link on amazon I posted. You get a 30 day refund on amazon also which is nice if they don’t work for your application send them back.

Joe

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by joesnuffy.
                  kerry
                  Participant

US Member

Thanks for the heads up.

If you have too many, AND not enough, you're a collector.

bwanadon
                    Participant

I got my Kawasaki chips in.

Kawa-chip-resize

bwanadon
                      Participant

They are big and it’s a challenge to get them tucked in.
                        Will this work. Grounding it out on top of the coil. If not I’m gonna have to make an “L” bracket ad mount them standing up.

Kawasaki-Chip

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by bwanadon.
                      Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 43 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.